A&H

Unauthorised Sub

BES

Hi all

Home team named 3 subs prior to the game.

Second half 1st sub made then a bit later manager asks to make their last sub. I thought strange but maybe he meant that he doesn't intend to bring on the third and therefore his last sub of the match. Sub made.

Only later in the half I realised the third sub is on the pitch and playing in the game. No idea when he came on. I can only assume that when I was taking the name of one of the other subs to enter fop he came in from the other side if the pitch as he had been acting as my assistant.

Didn't change the outcome of the game and away team unaware but what should I put in my match report to the league? 3 subs used as I know they actually had or just disclose the 2 I was informed of?

The Referee Store
Put in 3 subs used. As you said yourself, you worked out during the game that he had come on.
I guess this is something to be careful of when a sub is running as CAR, not sure what the best way to manage that is. Maybe keep that sub/CAR in your peripheral vision when doing substitutions?
I'd argue that there is no reason to caution, as presumably it occurred when the permitted substitution occurred, so they thought as you were allowing that sub it implied they had permission as well.

To be horribly pedantic, he hasn't come on from the half way line (as far as you know) and has come on without permission (you didn't call him on) so it should be a caution when you notice he is on the fop.

That said, @CapnBloodbeard makes a good point and maybe it depends on the level of football and what you laid out your expectations around substitutes entering the FOP before the game. Perhaps common sense is the better approach rather than rigid to the letter of the LOTG.

Regardless, submit all 3 as having played, as the sub did come on.

Did you check at half time whether either team made subs? This is most common point for unnoticed subs to occur.

To be even more pedantic....it's also a caution for the player who came off as he left the field without your permission.

Had this in a county cup game.

18 mins or so in i get shouts that "theyve changed a player". Next stoppage ask the HT Cap who brought it to my attention who he thinks has changed, call them both over, go speak to AT manager and ask him and he;s hands up yeah, thought you were aware we were subbing but noi wasnt brought to your attention.

2 cautions.

And the assessor "sorry, I missed that episode. was talking to the league manager who was there. You cautuoned both of them???? why???"

Great assessment!

Reactions: SM
To be horribly pedantic, he hasn't come on from the half way line (as far as you know) and has come on without permission (you didn't call him on) so it should be a caution when you notice he is on the fop.

That said, @CapnBloodbeard makes a good point and maybe it depends on the level of football and what you laid out your expectations around substitutes entering the FOP before the game. Perhaps common sense is the better approach rather than rigid to the letter of the LOTG.

Regardless, submit all 3 as having played, as the sub did come on.

If you don't know that he didn't come on at halfway then you absolutely cannot caution him for that. And as far as permission - well, the player thought he had permission, not entirely unreasonable. We're not looking to 'get' players at every opportunity.

Actually, the best approach probably would have been to talk to the player, find out - and maybe just let him know next time.

Back