A&H

Unable To Get FA Safeguarding Children Recertification Module To Work

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Been trying to do this on the FA Learning Site Today.

Logged in with FAN, clicked the "start course" tab and I'm presented with the 5 Module boxes to undertake chronologically. Every time I try to click on or load Module 1, it just says "Not available unless etc". :(

My 2 previous certifications are showing on my FA account so I'm a bit puzzled. :confused:

Is there a prior enrolment process that needs to be endorsed by the FA first that I'm not seeing or something?

Anybody any ideas? Grateful any pointers please ... :)

The Referee Store
This answer doesn't help you much, Kes, but I did my renewal recently just moving through each module in order. Bit clunky after each one, but got through fairly smoothly.
Hope it sorts itself soon.

I believe the recertification is also being phased out for a new £30 course, I was directed to the pay for course but found the recertification link and did it. It was accepted but the date it was being stopped was around now. This is cambs but might be nation wide

I believe the recertification is also being phased out for a new £30 course, I was directed to the pay for course but found the recertification link and did it. It was accepted but the date it was being stopped was around now. This is cambs but might be nation wide
Recertification is only available until 30 June, after which date we need to take the Safeguarding Children course when our certificate expires.

Recertification is only available until 30 June, after which date we need to take the Safeguarding Children course when our certificate expires.

Seems a bit naughty that, especially considering that the new version costs £30, many referees don't even do youth football and registration was meant to be free for this coming season .... :shifty:

Seems a bit naughty that, especially considering that the new version costs £30, many referees don't even do youth football and registration was meant to be free for this coming season .... :shifty:
I think it's the case that referees who only referee open age and not youth football/mini-soccer do not need Safeguarding certification, Kes - your County FA website or RDO will know.

I think it's the case that referees who only referee open age and not youth football/mini-soccer do not need Safeguarding certification, Kes - your County FA website or RDO will know.
That's not what the FA website nor recent communication from County says Chas ...😉 In any event, I fed it up to my RDO.

It is needed for all age groups. U18s play adult football. All referees, regardless of youth/open age now must have in date safeguarding

Thanks for the update, guys - just had the renewal notice from my CFA which confirms all match officials need the Safeguarding certification, and those officiating in youth football need a DBS clearance additionally.
Thankfully I already have both for my roles as Observer, Mentor, and Referee Developer (the artist formerly known as a tutor😁)

Don't blame the FA in today's world, but I'm not convinced by the requirement. I enjoyed attending the CFA Safeguarding course and I thought it was educational for those of us who ref youth football, but the online recertification module was nothing more than a chore. I don't think OA refs will get much from it at all, but boxes need to be ticked these days even when they're arguably unnecessary

Don't blame the FA in today's world, but I'm not convinced by the requirement. I enjoyed attending the CFA Safeguarding course and I thought it was educational for those of us who ref youth football, but the online recertification module was nothing more than a chore. I don't think OA refs will get much from it at all, but boxes need to be ticked these days even when they're arguably unnecessary
That's exactly the point.
I imagine that this gives the FA some level of protection in the event of unsavoury incidents.
Much in the way I have to do mandatory elearning for my employer such as DSE, Gdpr etc if I get it wrong they can say, well we gave him the training.
Not sure how watertight that would be in the eyes of law/tribunal etc. but it must have some weight.

That's exactly the point.
I imagine that this gives the FA some level of protection in the event of unsavoury incidents.
Much in the way I have to do mandatory elearning for my employer such as DSE, Gdpr etc if I get it wrong they can say, well we gave him the training.
Not sure how watertight that would be in the eyes of law/tribunal etc. but it must have some weight.

Exactly that. I work in IT for a financial services company and I spend hours on courses like anti-money laundering, insider trading, FSA regulations, and so on. No one is ever going to let me get anywhere near making any trades, but I still have to do it because I could overhear things on trading floors, access IT systems, and so on.

Likewise I won't ever referee youth football, but there is a chance I might referee 16 and 17 year olds playing open age, so the FA are protecting themselves.

Last edited:
Exactly that. I work in IT for a financial services company and I spend hours on courses like anti-money laundering, insider training, FSA regulations, and so on. No one is ever going to let me get anywhere near making any trades, but I still have to do it because I could overhear things on trading floors, access IT systems, and so on.

Likewise I won't ever referee youth football, but there is a chance I might referee 16 and 17 year olds playing open age, so the FA are protecting themselves.
. . . and of course you may have Under-18 assistant referees on open age games . . .

Don't forget if your certificates - safeguarding and CRB - are 'in date' - 3 years I believe, then you don't need to do anything.

Maybe just me, but when I got the e mail from CFA I thought everyone had to 're-certify'

Back