A&H

Umbro to Nike kit change?

I had to wear the yellow version care of Derby County U18s when they turned up in black!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The Referee Store
My county FA have been selling off county umbro merchandise cheaply in preparation for Nike sportswear next season....
Going to hold off purchasing any Umbro gear off A-H as they may reduce the diamond kit soon? The Wembley umbro shirt has been reduced already, along with lots of training wear,

Yes, hunts FA been selling off remaining umbro stock cheaply in preparation for the new Nike gear, I like the refefee's kit, not like the diamond kit.

Okay, so off the back of this thread I decided to buy the Nike kit as my first kit. Looking at the evidence it seems pretty likely that the FA is going to go over to Nike next season anyway so thought I'd get in there ahead of the game.

A friend of mine also gave me a Umbro Diamond shirt as he had put on a couple of pounds and was getting a new shirt at the end of the season anyway and for my first game I ended up wearing the Nike shorts and socks and, but actually wore the Umbro shirt as I much preferred it.

The Nike shorts and socks are seriously smart, the socks are completely plain black but have extra material around the arch and heel to make them better wearing and give some cushioning. The shorts are really smart, completely black (with a blacked-out embroidered Swoosh), 2 deep pockets on the side and a small square pocket at the back (i'd seen a couple of pictures of the shorts that suggested the rear pocket was in the middle with a zip, like their running shorts). They have no pattern in the material so look really good. I'm actually considering getting another pair for 'beach shorts' in the summer!

The top..................... unfortunately the top is a massive let down compared to the Umbro Diamond top. I actually don't mind the, much maligned, vertical zipped pocket but it's the material that I don't like. It's got an almost spotty pattern in the material, a bit like the 'technical' material that running vests are now made of and the fit isn't great either. It's quite baggy in the sleeves whereas I like the fitted look and feel of the Umbro sleeves.

I'm sure there will be an updated version before the start of next season but if I were Nike, I would leave the shorts and socks alone and concentrate on the shirt.

Hello,

Not a member of the forum.

but i can confirm

Team England, The FA , PGMOL will all be fully Nike equipped next season.

reasons being, nike own umbro. nike have decided they will fade umbro out by the looks of it. if you look at st georges park that has already got nike sponsorship

Okay, so off the back of this thread I decided to buy the Nike kit as my first kit. Looking at the evidence it seems pretty likely that the FA is going to go over to Nike next season anyway so thought I'd get in there ahead of the game.

A friend of mine also gave me a Umbro Diamond shirt as he had put on a couple of pounds and was getting a new shirt at the end of the season anyway and for my first game I ended up wearing the Nike shorts and socks and, but actually wore the Umbro shirt as I much preferred it.

The Nike shorts and socks are seriously smart, the socks are completely plain black but have extra material around the arch and heel to make them better wearing and give some cushioning. The shorts are really smart, completely black (with a blacked-out embroidered Swoosh), 2 deep pockets on the side and a small square pocket at the back (i'd seen a couple of pictures of the shorts that suggested the rear pocket was in the middle with a zip, like their running shorts). They have no pattern in the material so look really good. I'm actually considering getting another pair for 'beach shorts' in the summer!

The top..................... unfortunately the top is a massive let down compared to the Umbro Diamond top. I actually don't mind the, much maligned, vertical zipped pocket but it's the material that I don't like. It's got an almost spotty pattern in the material, a bit like the 'technical' material that running vests are now made of and the fit isn't great either. It's quite baggy in the sleeves whereas I like the fitted look and feel of the Umbro sleeves.

I'm sure there will be an updated version before the start of next season but if I were Nike, I would leave the shorts and socks alone and concentrate on the shirt.

Thank you very much, this is very useful, especially considering that not many have yet purchased the kit! :)

I like nike's football shirts, but didn't think it would be suitable for a refereeing kit.

I bought the nike shirt the other day, when it arrived I was a bit disappointed but that was probably because it was a bit too big, so I would probably recommend getting it in a size smaller than you usually go for, otherwise it has a sort of "golf shirt" feel about it. I sent mine back and have asked for a medium as opposed to a large, hopefully that sorts it out! Other than that, I think the material is alright; I can see why some people don't like it but I quite like the fact that it's quite breathable, although I can see myself opting for my Umbro kit in the cold winter months!
I haven't ordered the shorts yet as I am hoping to get them with my RA-FA points at the end of the season. ChazSizeland, thanks for your info on the shorts, they sound great!

I have the kit and wore it tonight.
I prefer it to the umbro one's to be honest. Material is nice.
All round good kit.

I hope not. The pocket at the back doesn't look in the most accessible/comfortable position. It looks more like the ipod pocket you get in running shorts.

Ok, so new shirt has arrived (in a medium this time) and I love it! Would definitely recommend it, just make sure you get the right size...for those who have the Umbro respect kit, I think the Nike medium is somewhere between the Umbro medium and large. If you normally get a large then maybe a medium will give a better fit.

Hmmmm.... Have just started thinking about next seasons kit. Will keep my diamond as its great, but am thinking about either the new Nike or possibly the adidas ref 12 black/purple also (will hopefully do kids in morning and adults in afternoon next season so 2 kits will be essential!).

interesting about the Nike shirt size, I always get anxious about sizes as I am a big guy (6'6 and 17 stone) so thanks for that info and Nike sizings. How does it compare in terms of length of shirt? I am broad and long not fat so kinda look goofy if a shirt is too short?

With your height I would probably suggest a large, I'm 6'2 and 12 stone, and the medium is a perfect fit for me. The only reason I didn't go for a large was the fact that it was a bit long and this meant that it bunched up around the edges when I tucked it into my shorts.

Back