A&H

U9s game.

TyTheOwl

Hey, I've got my third game in charge on Sunday, however my last game was in July as I haven't been too well. I have a game with the U9s and I'm really starting to stress out that I'll get too much wrong. (I'm only 15)

I'm looking for any tips anyone can give for before the game, during the game, or after.

I'm unsure whether teamsheets apply for such a young age, so I'm unsure how I should start the game. I'd do something along the lines of this;

Arrive 15-20 minutes before the game, introduce myself to managers, make sure all equipment is ready and go for a small warmup, a few minutes before kick off call in the teams for a handshake, following that call in the captains. Do the coin toss and start the game - is there anything I'm missing here?

The Referee Store
Arrive 15-20 minutes before the game, introduce myself to managers, make sure all equipment is ready and go for a small warmup, a few minutes before kick off call in the teams for a handshake, following that call in the captains. Do the coin toss and start the game - is there anything I'm missing here?

Your first port of call should be the league rules, I'm assuming it's an U9 league match? There should be a handbook covering the general rules and then any adjustments to those general rules for the youth competitions, such as the U9's.

Some will tell you how early they expect you to be there. For example, my league expects referees to be there 45minutes before a match - I like to be an hour before so I can take my time, just in case anything goes wrong.

In my local league, youth games share the same team-sheet as the adults. They also have identity cards, in case of age disputes. Again, that information should be in the league handbook assuming you're doing a league match.

If you don't have the handbook, I'd get in touch with the league's referee's officer for the information so that you can get it right before hand.

Your procedure looks fine to me, introduction, equipment checks, warm-ups, toss etc. Don't sweat the small stuff right now, just take your time and try to enjoy the game. Post-match you can always do self-reflection and see where you've gone right/wrong, but that's for afterwards, before then the main focus should be on enjoying the game - but double check your handbook for the rules. :)

At this age group, typically the players will always be making genuine efforts to win the ball and fouls are going to be careless rather than anything more.
This age group is also about guidance and encouragement. Give them second chances on throw ins and a bit of advice like "try and keep that back foot on the floor next time"

It's a small pitch at this age group and the pace is fine. Just go and enjoy it.

One thing that I would say, is that although the FA states that from this season all back passes are to be penalised just be lenient with it or what I do is tell the coaches that the FA have this rule but I won't be enforcing it.

One thing that I would say, is that although the FA states that from this season all back passes are to be penalised just be lenient with it or what I do is tell the coaches that the FA have this rule but I won't be enforcing it.
OOps, any more rules you’re making up as you go Joe?

Got an email from CFA this season saying that the FA had said that back pass wasn't allowed in mini soccer this season but most teams just agree to allow them
Sometimes, things you post worry me Joe..
If thr FA, the governing body for football for the whole of England, say no pass backs... well then there are no passbacks. Yourself and the coaches have no business over ruling them.

Sometimes, things you post worry me Joe..
If thr FA, the governing body for football for the whole of England, say no pass backs... well then there are no passbacks. Yourself and the coaches have no business over ruling them.
Maybe I worded it wrong James I agree with the coaches to be super lenient not just to disregard them

But why?......their next ref probably won't be "super lenient". Then you become last week's ref........
And I'm not the only one I've seen countless refs not give back passes when I've been waiting for game to finish on the pitch in on next

Maybe I worded it wrong James I agree with the coaches to be super lenient not just to disregard them
Why? You are the referee. Ok its under 9s so probably an exaggeration but if the coaches are dicatating the rules, who's in charge? Match control lost in the nod of a head, literally.
What other rules do we disregard... can we not play dogos/sfp today ref.
Sounds like the new "house rules" game modes on fifa..

Why? You are the referee. Ok its under 9s so probably an exaggeration but if the coaches are dicatating the rules, who's in charge? Match control lost in the nod of a head, literally.
What other rules do we disregard... can we not play dogos/sfp today ref.
Sounds like the new "house rules" game modes on fifa..
Nice reference to fifa but on a more serious note when I decided to give back passes I was giving a foul constantly and the game wasn't flowing it's u9s they are their to play and afterwards both coaches said ref you know no one else gives pass backs it just spoils the flow of the game and I agree with that.

Nice reference to fifa but on a more serious note when I decided to give back passes I was giving a foul constantly and the game wasn't flowing it's u9s they are their to play and afterwards both coaches said ref you know no one else gives pass backs it just spoils the flow of the game and I agree with that.
My counter argument to that is that u9s is educational... when are they going to learn that the goal keeper can not touch a ball with his hands when deliberately kicked to him by a team mate.
Lets be real here - what u9 games have any flow, its 14-18 young lads chasing a ball around the pitch with no real shape or tactics... so we cant say I wont give "passbacks" in aid of game flow... doesnt wash.

Altought U9 are playing for the sake of playing I'd say that they are there to learn as well, so how are they gonna learn if you don't obey the laws that they should be learning?

I think we're being a bit hard on @JoeMaloney5
Mini-soccer is babysitting, loosely associated with refereeing. Some of the less able players (and newbies) have no clue what they're doing, especially the goalkeepers. I'm very lenient and coach the boys to do things properly and the parents and managers really appreciate it. Recall that my son is 9.
I should add, when the boys are very capable players, the expectation from everyone is entirely different

I think we're being a bit hard on @JoeMaloney5
Mini-soccer is babysitting, loosely associated with refereeing. Some of the less able players (and newbies) have no clue what they're doing, especially the goalkeepers. I'm very lenient and coach the boys to do things properly and the parents and managers really appreciate it. Recall that my son is 9.
I should add, when the boys are very capable players, the expectation from everyone is entirely different
On Saturday the keeper kept dropping the ball then picking it back up on the 3rd time I stopped the game explained to him then restarted the game I didn't give an idfk

Back