A&H

Junior/Youth U18 match: did the CAR drop me in it?

SLI39

A good match this morning; hardly any disciplinary issues, and I have been impressed by the sportsmanship at this age group this week and last.

Contender for the earliest penalty I have ever given: barely a minute had been played when the away keeper completely misjudged a challenge on the oncoming striker.

One thing did annoy me a bit after the final whistle. In the second minute of stoppage time, with the away team pushing desperately for an equaliser, they played a ball through to a striker 8 yards out. I suspected he was offside and thus looked across to the home CAR. He was in line and clearly flagging, so I blew the whistle even before the player slotted the ball into the net. It wouldn't have been credible for me to overrule it, and he had been very reliable throughout the match. Indeed, he had recommended himself as a referee! It was very much to my surprise, then, when the away manager asked how I had given offside from my position. He explained that the CAR had denied raising the flag. I tried to defend the decision we had made without accusing the CAR of lying, and there weren't too many hard feelings. I also felt the scorer's reaction suggested the call had probably been right. Given that he definitely signalled for offside, isn't it a matter of etiquette to uphold that if asked by a manager etc.?

The Referee Store
If you find yourself looking at a car if you think it is offside it probably is offside. I always tell the captains at ko if I look at at a car and his flag is up the forward is offside. They may have made a mistake but if I am looking there is a possibility that a player has strayed. I find U18s quite gobby as a rule but U15s and U16s worse.

If you find yourself looking at a car if you think it is offside it probably is offside. I always tell the captains at ko if I look at at a car and his flag is up the forward is offside. They may have made a mistake but if I am looking there is a possibility that a player has strayed. I find U18s quite gobby as a rule but U15s and U16s worse.

U18's is that age where they start thinking they're something special as they're only a year or 2 off the first team, some have experienced it and again think they're better. Thats how I found it anyway.

Thanks, yes, I hope there was no harm done. I'm pretty sure it was offside myself. I just felt it was a bit unkind of a flagging CAR to pin that decision on me. Although, ultimately, it was my call.

U18s definitely vary (I had an awful one a few years back, but it was a more competitive league). It probably says something that I was surprised by the level of co-operation, and admittedly it's a small sample size! I'd agree that they start trying their luck at U15/16, which are the most challenging groups mainly because they fall smack in the middle of a disruptive/non-responsive venn diagram. The younger ones don't always engage, but rarely go out of their way to create trouble for you; U17/U18 can be guilty, but are willing to be corrected.

CAR could have made a mistake and flagged early, or maybe is saying that because they don't want the grief.

When you brief CARs, make sure you show them the proper way to flag, nice and high up.

If that flag isn't straight then I'm not blowing. If the CAR was flagging then we can always come back to that position after the ball goes out of play.

Back