The Ref Stop

U15 slide tackle

pdhmobile

New Member
During a game, ball gets played in front of attacker as he enters the penalty box, as he goes to take a touch a defender comes flying in , slides, gets the ball but also a whole lot of the player.

The attacker flies up in the air, spins round and lands on his back, the ball goes out of play.

Shouts of great tackle from everyone.

The coach came on for the injured player and he even said it was a good tackle to his player.

It bugged me though, the tackle. I feel I could have given a foul and even a red card for excessive force.

What do you think? Have you given similar?

Calling a foul might have gotten me grief for calling it.

I know it's hard without seeing it.
 
The Ref Stop
During a game, ball gets played in front of attacker as he enters the penalty box, as he goes to take a touch a defender comes flying in , slides, gets the ball but also a whole lot of the player.

The attacker flies up in the air, spins round and lands on his back, the ball goes out of play.

Shouts of great tackle from everyone.

The coach came on for the injured player and he even said it was a good tackle to his player.

It bugged me though, the tackle. I feel I could have given a foul and even a red card for excessive force.

What do you think? Have you given similar?

Calling a foul might have gotten me grief for calling it.

I know it's hard without seeing it.
Endangers the safety of an opponent?
 
Relly impossible to judge without seeing it. But getting ball is not a license to simply go through the attacker. Often the challenge is determining if the defender went through the attacker or if the attacker fell over the defender who made a clean play. As i read your description, the picture that forms in my head is a reckless tackle—PK and caution. But impossible,to know wothout seei g it.
 
I also say I have to see it. But a few questions I ask myself before making a decision.
  • Could the defender reasonably anticipate that he is going to 'clean' the attacker along with playing the ball.
  • Was the manner of the tackle in a way to intimidate the attacker to pull out of a challenge?
  • Could the attacker anticipate it is clear he is not getting to the ball first? (if he has reasonable change to get there first then he is entitle to continue the challenge)
  • Once it is clear the defender is getting to the ball first, does the attacker have enough time to avoid contact?

In general though, English football (fans, players, etc) expect a great deal more physicality to be considered as part of the game and go unpunished compared to the rest of the world.
 
Yes, I dread anytime an attacker and a defender (including the GK coming out) are on a collision course for the ball. Then there are the plays where the player is dribbling and gets wiped out by a slide tackle. It seems like, as long as the defender gets a piece of the ball, noone wants a foul called ..well except for the attacker. I also think most people want us to "protect the keeper" and call the foul on the attacker when the keeper is involved. I dread these plays. I honestly feel like it's a coin toss and I get 50% of the calls wrong. Anyway @pdhmobile ...I understand exactly how you feel.
 
Back
Top