A&H

U12 Match - sending off offence

SammyT5

Level 7 Referee
So I was refereeing a U12s match last Sunday. It was between two very good (not academy level, but generally accepted as the best in the amateur league), teams, who are both fairly well known in the local area. It was a 60 minute game because it was U12 9v9, between “orange” and “white”. White were winning 3 - 1 with 10 minutes to go. Then, white number 9 breaks past the defence and is left essentially 1v1 with the keeper, although was being chased by an orange player (no.4) who was clearly not their best player and had come on as a substitute. Orange number 4 then attempted a very late sliding tackle, with excessive force, from behind, just outside the penalty area. Luckily they completely missed white 9, and I allowed play to continue, with him scoring just seconds later.

This got me thinking afterwards though, what would have been my reaction if the player had been brought down and potentially injured by the sliding tackle. My immediate reaction in the moment would probably have been to reach for the red, however I realised afterwards that orange 4 was so clearly way behind everyone else playing in terms of skill, concentration, and pace. It got me wondering, would sending off this player, who had just been put on by the manager to get game time without risking the score line, be “in the spirit of the game”? I know it’s technically a sending off offence, and in the moment I’d have probably acted in strict accordance with the LotG, but I’d like to hear what others who have worked at a similar level in the past would have done.

The Referee Store
whilw I think there can be some level of leniency at 12U, the hypothetical you describe sounds very clear and blatant. I think sending off is the appropriate action.

(there are some places where, at younger ages, it is acceptable to do the send off by walking the player to the coach rather than showing the card)

There is a difference between a player getting a challenge wrong because they have a lower level of skill and making a challenge like you described above.

"Very late and with excessive force" were your words, which would indicate that it's a send off.

Perhaps his lack of skill and ability saved him in this case, as had he been a better player he'd have made contact with the attacker.

I have my own thoughts but think about whatever the reason is that make 'football expect' that kids shoudn't be sent off. Now weigh that against other kid's safety. That should give you the answer.

Carding in youth football is something people will never agree on. Was once at a youth football meeting where one referee said no player under 18 should be carded, which drew gasps from most in the room. The youngest age group I carded at was u13 because I was of the mindset they are playing 11v11 and are old enough to understand and know better.

Did have one particular incident during u12 game where I asked a manager to sub a player for his and everyone else's safety after what is best described as a somewhat robust shoulder charge, which sparked an angry reaction from the fouled players already antagonistic manager. Had the manager refused to sub the player, I probably would have sent him off. Fortunately that kind of incident at that and younger age groups seemed to be a rarity.

Those who think those under 18 players/age groups shouldn't be carded, should see how these players develop into adult games and if they still respect refs who now caution them for things that got them nothing for the previous 5/6 years of youth football.

Players learn skills from a manager, they learn the game/laws from referees (in my opinion).

I think cards are essential tools in youth football - and to generalise, in my exp - especially for 13-17 yo boys who are not quite at elite levels (and also at elite levels for different reasons).

Round my way elite youth football is expected to be refereed like the "real" game. From u15 and up the top two leagues don't have any cloggers, they train 5 times a week, and the play and decision-making for officials is similar to higher (non-elite) adult football. (Maybe less force, but the speed at e.g. elite u17 is amazing).

The next tier though, with some mixed ability, less disciplined players and easily frustrated players - especially boys but also girls - use of cards is vital. At these 13-17 yo non-elite boys level (every match, and girls more rarely) it is also the level where identifying potential flash points, seeing the oncoming red mist, being in the right place so players feel your presence etc... is important.

(This is also a good moment to plug Tournaments Abroad and the Iber Cups, which are brilliant for refereeing youth from around the world in intense matches, typically just outside the elite bracket and lower).

Back