A&H

Junior/Youth U11 pre game handshake??

ConnorWJH

Sorry if this has been posted previously,

Got my first game post course 9v9 u11's friendly through the club I coach at. Few questions I've got, would you bother with the pre match handshake at that age? Think all laws are the same albeit smaller pitch, rolling subs also. Just not sure about the pre match stuff. Was thinking coin toss with captains but maybe not a handshake.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Sorry if this has been posted previously,

Got my first game post course 9v9 u11's friendly through the club I coach at. Few questions I've got, would you bother with the pre match handshake at that age? Think all laws are the same albeit smaller pitch, rolling subs also. Just not sure about the pre match stuff. Was thinking coin toss with captains but maybe not a handshake.

Thoughts?
If the league rules say handshake, you do a handshake. Age is irrelevant.
On the juniour league I started on the handshake was an opportunity for both clubs to check each others registration cards prior to the start.
So the players would line up. Cards would he checked. All players and referee would shake hands.
If its in the competition rules its not optional.

That's where I'm confused cos it's just a friendly, might just ask the coach before ko
Didnt read the friendly part. I wouldnt bother unless coaches ask. Might be they want the kids to get used to the normal matchday procedure. Apologies for not readi g your post properly.
You will however have to do a coin toss.

Kind of agree with James. If the competition rules (or in the case of a friendly, the competition in which the teams normally play) specify, you follow those rules. If they don't, my rule of thumb is to do the handshake when you have neutral AR's, and not to do it when you have club or no AR's.

I referee U11's, U12's U13's and always get the kids to line up and do the handshake. As they pass me and i shake their hand, i try and give some comment about nice boots, great haircut etc. I do this for 2 reasons.
1 - it breaks the ice. for some kids it may be the first time they've had an 'official' referee and it can be a bit daunting for them. It just shows them that they've nothing to be scared/worried about.
2 -it gives you a chance to make sure that they are not wearing any jewelry, eg watch, earrings etc

I think it also emphasises the respect and fair play part of the game. When it comes to the coin toss, i ask each captains name and get them to shake hands again,.

I think it also shows the parents and coaches that you're serious about the game.

Hand Shake. What is the world coming to?
The boys and referee should show mutual respect by way of a handshake regardless of the age-group

I referee U11's, U12's U13's and always get the kids to line up and do the handshake. As they pass me and i shake their hand, i try and give some comment about nice boots, great haircut etc. I do this for 2 reasons.
1 - it breaks the ice. for some kids it may be the first time they've had an 'official' referee and it can be a bit daunting for them. It just shows them that they've nothing to be scared/worried about.
2 -it gives you a chance to make sure that they are not wearing any jewelry, eg watch, earrings etc

I think it also emphasises the respect and fair play part of the game. When it comes to the coin toss, i ask each captains name and get them to shake hands again,.

I think it also shows the parents and coaches that you're serious about the game.

Can I add my advice and am sure anybody who complies with the child protection act is NOT to pass the exact comments that you are making
If you need it explained ask your child welfare manager or referee association manager
You are in breach of child protection guidelines by continuing as you are

If the league rules say handshake I will do one if not equipment check as usual shake hands with the skippers and CARs and use the same speech as if I was reffing OA. Same rules same game same cards.

Can I add my advice and am sure anybody who complies with the child protection act is NOT to pass the exact comments that you are making
If you need it explained ask your child welfare manager or referee association manager
I need it explaining. Absolutely nothing said by my Child Welfare Officer regarding shaking kids hands on my Safeguarding course. Nothing mentioned in the comprehensive FA bumph either
My lad plays under 8's and i make a big deal out of introductions and handshake at KO and the kids feel like they're 6 foot tall

I need it explaining. Absolutely nothing said by my Child Welfare Officer regarding shaking kids hands on my Safeguarding course. Nothing mentioned in the comprehensive FA bumph either
My lad plays under 8's and i make a big deal out of introductions and handshake at KO and the kids feel like they're 6 foot tall

Not the handshake. The personal comments clearly made with good intentions
Its extremely inadvisable to pass comments singling out one kid from the other
There are so many ways "nice haorcut" could be taken wrongly. Safer not to put yourself in that position

Many years ago my brother asked me up to his house near Blackpool. His son then was an U7 or something. He asked me to ref a kids game as they’d never had a ref and were high on the respect stuff and Charter standard and all that. I turned up in full kit and the joy on there faces as we did the full handshake thing. I even passed out my cards and whistles so they could just feel part of the experience of a young footballer. Dishing card to their mates etc.. Many years later I was spotted watching the same team, now U15 or so. one parent mentioned that he’d remembered my openess and the efforts I’d gone to to make their day special. They had a young ref that day about 16 who had the charisma of an slug. Just stood their and blew randomly for anything. Hadn’t a clue! I approached him at HT and initially he was very defensive, I explained that I was a ref too and not a parent. I was courteous and respectful but his heckles were up so he wasn’t really listening to me. After the game he ran off, no handshakes, just ‘where’s my money’ and gone.... The futures Bright!

From everyone's posts, I think I will do the handshake, for a few reasons it hopefully gets them used to respect and the pre match routine for when they grow older and 2. as Sheff has just said that handshake for u11's probably seems abit OTT to us adults but to an 11 y/o probably makes them feel like pros 😁

Just utter tosh smiley

Just utter tosh smiley

Sorry but the guidelines we have here are NOT to single out kids with reference to their looks, height, weight, anything like that

Whatever your guidelines are thats fine but kind of cheeky to ridicule another persons instructions that they have been furnished with Binty

Back