A&H

Typical!

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
After a week musing over that wonderfully devisive thread about when to stop play to red card someone........

27th minute, blue striker receives ball in the penalty area from a lofted through ball. About 10 yards out, in line with left goalpost. One red defender ready to challenge. No other defenders anywhere near, keeper just off his line. First touch is excellent and striker turns inside the defender, left to right towards the centre of the goal and prepares to shoot. Defender's challenge misses the ball and takes out the striker's back foot. Striker goes down and screams in agony, a scream I've only heard from a player once before in nearly 100 matches that I've refereed.

Was already preparing to blow for the foul, award the penalty and send the defender off for dogso. The ball had broken to the keeper and he was going to clear it upfield. As he made contact with the ball, the scream from the player persuaded me that it was time to whistle

Above is all in a matter of a few seconds, 3 maybe 4.

As I start to whistle, keeper mis-hits his clearance straight to another blue attacker who hits it first time into the net.....about 2 seconds after I started to whistle. Indeed I was still whistling as the ball crossed the goal line

What would you do next?

The Referee Store
Say 'sorry lads, I've already blown.' Pen, Red for DOGSO and just hope that they score!

Out of interest, what did you do?

I suspect Harry's answer to be the right one, had the ball gone straight to the other striker then maybe different.

Yup it's the pen. Any moaning from the attacking team I'd be shaking my head and have a look on my face like I'm smelling something bad just to indicate how unimpressed and unlikely I am to change my mind. ;)

Did they score the pen?

I realised that I'd already talked about sending the guy off on another thread but, hey....

I did send him off.....

.... keeper saved the penalty

Team with 11 men went two up but ten men pulled a goal back just before half-time. Numbers eventually told and 11 men scored four goals in the last 15 minutes to win 6-1

What did I learn for next time, wait until the ball has gone sailing out of the penalty area before blowing the whistle just in case another keeper can't kick properly

Had I delayed my whistle by two seconds, the player, the team captain, would have stayed on the pitch and the attacking side would have been a goal to the good

To the defender who moaned that 'you've ruined the game now'....perhaps he had a point ;)

If you'd played the "advantage" would you still have gone back and YCRC the defender for the tackle?

Nope - it was just a 'careless' tackle

Whether it was careless or reckless is besides the point, if you play advantage for a foul where you would have sent a player off for DOGSO, you go back and caution that player for USB.

It is not important whether the penalty was saved/missed. You correctly blew the whistle for the penalty, and had to send the defender off. I would always advise to be very careful about allowing advantage in the penalty area. I think you acted correctly.

Whether it was careless or reckless is besides the point, if you play advantage for a foul where you would have sent a player off for DOGSO, you go back and caution that player for USB.

grug, just to clear up your misunderstanding of the lotg, as per interpretation of the lotg:

'if the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent's handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned'

'may'

Back