A&H

Tying laces, do you wait?

The Referee Store
If it gets brought to my attention then I normally wait for them. If not, then I carry on

I don't wait at all - never have, the player should have them securely done in the first place!...

Perhaps a bit mean but hey, I can't be nice all the time :p

If the balls dead and in the possesion of the keeper i would stop it . I will always hold play up if someone wants to tie there laces up.

If the player was tying laces in the area of the FoP where play is (eg. throw in down the line, player in the channel tying his laces...) I would stop. However if they are nowhere near the ball, I carry on.

I had this, but under 14's. Corner kick and defender tying his lases, I held up play and some of the attacking team moaned, but it seems mean to get that harsh on kids! Plus I thought what happens if the ball flies in and hits the kid tying his lases or everyone is charging towards him I'll end up having a whole load of different decisions to make.

If it's during a stoppage then yes.

The reason being that not doing so led to the only sending-off I have had that was avoidable on my behalf. I told a player in question that I wasn't waiting, and ended up getting a load of dissent which ultimately ended with him being cautioned. Later in the game he was fouled by somebody and when he got up they began pushing each other. Both cautioned and therefore he walked.

Ive assessed a referee that had similar happen Tealeaf. Referee didn't stop the game to allow a player to tie his laces, cue a torrent of abuse aimed at the referee, ending with the player receiving a straight red for his actions

To be fair there's nothing as far as I can see in the laws that says you are to stop the game for players tying their laces. I've not marked a referee down for stopping the game though.

I don't stop, ever. If a player needs a sub than I'm more than happy to allow him to have one; if he thinks he can tie it quickly than that's his decision. Should be double-knotting prior to kick off anyway.

I don't stop for laces as these should be done before the game... However If I see someone has laces undone, I mention it to do them up at the next stoppage...

To contradict my previous post - i would only ever stop for laces if it was the goalkeeper!

Other than that, why would i?....As Ross says, nothing in the laws that says i should

Going on from Richards post, i witnessed a game recently where one team was constantly asking to stop the game to tie laces, only to slow the game down. This team were 1-0 up, with 25 minutes to go, my only guess was that these tactics were to slow the game down and stop the other teams constant barrage of attacks.

Be careful!!

Absolutely agree with Richard! It is a slipery slope to let people stop to tie the laces. I'd rather consistently say "no" than to go for it.

It's a NO for me (except for the GK b/c of the gloves).
The LOTG actually do talk about this in Law 4...players must leave the field of play to correct their equipment and technically, tieing of ones shoes is correcting ones equipment. Obviously Law 18 (common sense) would tell you that it's rediculous to send a player off the field of play just to tie their shoe and thus you let them do it on the field, but at no point are you to stop or hold up play for this. If they really need to tie their shoes and it's going to take them a while to do so, then you simply ask them to leave the field and you can let them re-enter once they're done!

No for me. I was about 5 when I learnt to tie my laces! If you can't tie them properly by the time you're playing football, it's pretty pathetic!!

Back