A&H

Two thirds of referees suffer verbal abuse....

The Referee Store
It would appear so. I would put a great deal of money on the fact that EVERY referee has been verbally abused at some point in time.

I actually had to log out of twitter after reading the comments on this article; "if the refs were better, they wouldn't be abused", "that's what they're paid for", "that's because 2/3 of refs are #@$#" and so on. Pathetic.

If you count games with more than a man and a dog spectating (100+ supporters) both ref and NARs will more than likely get some verbal abuse during the game.

Numbers + passion of football + assumed anonymity of being on crowd + social expectation that it is fine to shout at officials = high chance of abuse.

N + P * A / S = likelihood of abuse (X)

Bit of maths right there. Which I just made up to support my point. :)

I was approached directly and asked to contribute to this feature on 5Live but deflected the interview to our County FA so they could give a more representative view.

Nice maths @SM

Listened to a radio clip on the BBC website about referees being abused and one of the lads said that a coach once kicked his changing room door down and that it's not what you expect to happen but you have to be ready for it.

Why should we have to be ready for this to happen? I don't turn up on a Sunday morning and want to worry about this happening. Shows how flawed the system.... Oooh sorry, I mean how great the respect campaign is :hmmm:

I must say though, it is somewhat ironic that this survey is compiled by arguably the worst single body for damaging the image and public feeling of referees.

They could almost single handedly improve grassroots football without the constant bashing delivered to referees by its commentators and pundits.

Listened to a radio clip on the BBC website about referees being abused and one of the lads said that a coach once kicked his changing room door down and that it's not what you expect to happen but you have to be ready for it.

Why should we have to be ready for this to happen? I don't turn up on a Sunday morning and want to worry about this happening. Shows how flawed the system.... Oooh sorry, I mean how great the respect campaign is :hmmm:
I once had a goalkeeper trying to kick down the door. Me, the referee and the other AR were sat on a chair against the door laughing our heads off. It was bad but funny at the same time. We felt like the three little pigs

Reactions: SM
It would appear so. I would put a great deal of money on the fact that EVERY referee has been verbally abused at some point in time.

I actually had to log out of twitter after reading the comments on this article; "if the refs were better, they wouldn't be abused", "that's what they're paid for", "that's because 2/3 of refs are #@$#" and so on. Pathetic.
That last one is pretty funny though. But everyone as a ref has had verbal abuse. One of the most liked people (not just ref, people really just like him as well) in a league I used to do lines for had abuse, and everyone liked and respected him, but he still got abuse.

I don't care if players try and verbal ab
What kind of attitude is that? How on earth can you not care that the majority of your colleagues are being abused on a regular basis....
Who said that I don't care about my Colleagues? Very far from the truth that's a very poor statement to come out with to a fellow colleague? I don't care about the players using verbal towards me they will be dealt with in accordance of the laws of the game that's football and it will never change.

I don't care if players try and verbal ab

Who said that I don't care about my Colleagues? Very far from the truth that's a very poor statement to come out with to a fellow colleague? I don't care about the players using verbal towards me they will be dealt with in accordance of the laws of the game that's football and it will never change.

Read what you posted again. How else was that supposed to come across?

What you posted suggested that because it didn't happen to you, you didn't care that it was going on.

Matthew you read it again "I do not care it's never happend to me" Meaning I do not care if it happens to me if you read it wrong then sorry.

I am a mentor for a couple of young level 7 referees it's the first thing a coach them on "Respect" if you are not respected then manage the game accordingly IE hammer them.

Matthew you read it again "I do not care it's never happend to me" Meaning I do not care if it happens to me if you read it wrong then sorry.

I am a mentor for a couple of young level 7 referees it's the first thing a coach them on "Respect" if you are not respected then manage the game accordingly IE hammer them.

Fair enough, Mick. Apologies for the misunderstanding!

All the officials they had for interview were young academy refs by the looks of it. They can't moan about abuse and have to look tough otherwise they'll get binned!

Back