A&H

Two technicalities

RefJef

RefChat Addict
A couple of “technicalities” from my game today that I’d like your thoughts on.

1. DFK just outside box. As taker shapes to strike the ball, a defender in the wall shouts to distract the kicker. So yellow card for the “shouter”, but what’s the re-start? IDFK? I let the play develop a little from the original free kick (I.e.tried playing advantage) but when nothing came of it brought it back for IDFK. Just doesn’t “look” right - defender commits an offence, and attackers free kick goes from direct to indirect. (With hindsight, I’ve realised the IDFK should(?)be taken from where the wall was - I.e 10 yards closer to the goal - not (as I did) where the original free kick was.)

2. Red throw in, just in their (defensive) half. Thrower shapes to take throw from other half. Whistle, & Verbally tell him to go back into his own half (all very public, no one disputing were the throw should be). Thrower acknowledges and goes back into his own half. Then proceeds to run 5+ yards into opposition half and takes throw. Blow whistle, award throw other way (to blues). Moments doubt in my head - should blues take the throw where the original throw was supposed to be taken from, or from where red took the throw. I went with the latter, but now think I’m wrong. (No big deal, blues were happy that I’d penalised red and given them the throw.)

Any thoughts on either of the above appreciated.

The Referee Store
1. Since the shout happened before the DFK was taken. you cannot give an IFK (ball was not in play when offence occurred). So you can caution the player who shouted, then go back and retake the original DFK.

2. The throw in should have been taken from where the original throw in was given.

1. Since the shout happened before the DFK was taken. you cannot give an IFK (ball was not in play when offence occurred). So you can caution the player who shouted, then go back and retake the original DFK.

2. The throw in should have been taken from where the original throw in was given.

Agree, @RefJef - you cannot apply advantage in this instance as the ball was not in play.

Ah, yes, that all makes some sort of sense (YC & retake as DFK as ball not in play when shout happened.)

But, and there’s always a but, surely you’re going to “delay your whistle” (subtlly different from playing advantage - it takes a moment for whistle to reach lips ...) you don’t want to be scratching of a “worldie” free kick that sails into the top corner, or the header from the free kick that bursts the onion bag.

We live and learn. Will probably never happen to me again, but thanks to all for your thoughts.

Ah, yes, that all makes some sort of sense (YC & retake as DFK as ball not in play when shout happened.)

But, and there’s always a but, surely you’re going to “delay your whistle” (subtlly different from playing advantage - it takes a moment for whistle to reach lips ...) you don’t want to be scratching of a “worldie” free kick that sails into the top corner, or the header from the free kick that bursts the onion bag.

We live and learn. Will probably never happen to me again, but thanks to all for your thoughts.
1) Whatever you did (as you described it), it will be wrong 🤣
2) I wonder how many yards the average player 'nicks' over the course of a season. At least your diligence means one player's total is now a bit light

As mentioned you can't play advantage for an offence which happened when the ball was not in play. From a game management view point, do delay whistle but make sure your delayed whistle is very short. Much less than the few seconds that is allowed for advantage. And if a goal comes of it, I'd be thinking hard about if I should caution the offender or just have a firm talking to.

Twice this season I've seen a defender try to shout to distract a striker, but the striker's gone on to score anyway. I haven't cautioned in either case, based on the logic that the distraction clearly didn't work! But definitely a talking to, along the lines of "That's called verbal distraction and if it had worked, it would have been a YC and a FK" which has mostly worked to stop it happening again.

Mad. In 23 years of football I’ve only ever seen it once, and never at OA. Was a chirpy Jack the lad #banter Under 16 who thought he was HILARIOUS. You know the type. Was his second yellow.

Back