A&H

Two footed tackle

maybe im misunderstanding the above, you guys (Charlie and jojo) seem to be both saying the same thing?

but heres how I understand it:
offence while BALL IN PLAY- stop play. free kick occurs from where offence was committed (IDFK or DFK/Pen depending on the offence, plus any cards)
offence while PLAY STOPPED- no free kick, play restarts from where it was before the offence (after disciplinary action)

The Referee Store
I agree, that is what I would do during a match, but the incident was while the ball was still in play (from my understanding), and so then the free kick would be from where the offence occurred, but if the ball was out of play, then the game would restart from before the offence, like you said.

Are all 2-footed challenges red card offences? No.

In addition to what was posted above the following was issued as guidance a few seasons back and makes a good rule of thumb:

Contact with player: Red - Serious Foul Play
Contact with ball AND player: Red - Serious Foul Play
Contact with ball only, if an opponent is in possession or playing distance: Free kick. Sanction applied at your discretion. Consider speed, force, was he looking at the ball or the player?.
No contact with ball or opponent: Free kick. Sanction applied at your discretion. Consider speed, force, was he looking at the ball or the player?
tealeaf I know we are good friends but I disagree with last one if he used ef on all 3 then red anyway

FIFA offers the following definitions when determining whether a challenge was careless, reckless, or with excessive force (which is the only question that needs to be answered to determine whether a foul deserves a misconduct card):

Careless means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution.

Reckless means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.

Using excessive force means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.

In order to determine these, one must employ the use of a few simple considerations to make the decision (these were instructed to me by a former FIFA referee, now the Director of Officials for the Canadian Soccer Association):

1) With which part of the body did the player make contact?
2) With which part of his opponent's body did the player make contact?
3) How fast/hard was the challenge -- how fast/hard did it need to be?
4) Did the player put his opponent in a dangerous position? (This would be reckless)
5) Or, did the player endanger the safety of his opponent? (This would be excessive force -- the danger is actual and real, as opposed to possible)
6) Did the player have a chance to play the ball?
7) Was there foul contact before the ball was played or after the ball was played?

Answering each of these quickly in your head should help you come up with the right choice in terms of misconduct (if applicable).

Had one the other day where an u18 lad went in with 2 feet and won the ball cleanly, and was baffled to see that I had awarded a FK against him. I said that as he hadn't made contact with the player I wasn't going to caution him, but that if he had touched the player he would now be walking. My tutor later said that he generally gives a yellow for a 2 footed challenge, unless the player is taken as well, when obviously it is a red card.

tealeaf I know we are good friends but I disagree with last one if he used ef on all 3 then red anyway
Sorry Craig, thats what I meant by discretion. Your choice of red, caution or just the fk. Just to clarify in case anybody else thought I was saying not to caution or send off.

C/R/EF?
We were taught to try and judge the amount of risk of injury the offender has exposed his opponent to.

So yes, a two-footed tackle can be made cleanly, taking the ball without contacting player BUT it is very rare that the element of risk isn't involved somewhere, with tackles like that.

There are many elements to consider - the mood and atmosphere of the game, the speed at which the tackle was made, any earlier incidents involving one or both the players etc etc.

A couple of points I would make in this from personal observations:

1: I have yet to see a player anywhere, at any level, with the ability to tackle with both feet without leaving the ground.
2: I have yet to see a player anywhere, at any level, with the ability to tackle with both feet without showing the studs.

As has been said earlier, initial 'gut-feeling' is a great indicator - if you, as observer, cringe at the tackle, you could sell the RC easily.

Back