A&H

Two assessments in a week

CiaranK

Level 6 Referee
Bit apprehensive as I've got my first 6-5 assessment on Thursday, first middle of the season and just had two middles in pre-season. I know beggars can't be choosers but just would have liked a couple of games in the middle after the summer break. It's my 18th birthday Friday so hopefully I can have a good early birthday present.
Also got an asst. refs assessment on Tuesday, last one on the opening day of season was okay and more relaxed about that.
Any pointers on the 6-5 that you think would be helpful or just go and do the game?

The Referee Store
Read the competencies for 6-5. Then read them again. The take them with you to the game and read them again an hour before kick off.

6-5 isn't that difficult, and where referees get themselves into bother they often don't know what the assessor is looking for.

Please get the basics right.......easy wins like sock tape, substitutions etc etc

2 observations on the bounce have seen the candidates marked Below Standard due to failures on the basics never mind the more advanced criteria. Nothing more frustrating than watching a referee work hard at positioning etc but then conduct substitutions from a random point somewhere between the half way line and the penalty area!

Please get the basics right.......easy wins like sock tape, substitutions etc etc

2 observations on the bounce have seen the candidates marked Below Standard due to failures on the basics never mind the more advanced criteria. Nothing more frustrating than watching a referee work hard at positioning etc but then conduct substitutions from a random point somewhere between the half way line and the penalty area!
Surely spirit of the game means you can let that slide now? :devil:

Thanks for the tips, I will be going through the competencies.
Funny thing it is about knowing what the assessor is looking for as one assessor last year gave me grief for not cautioning a player who had ran and got the ball to pass back to an opponent for a throw in thus speeding up the game, bit of decent sportsmanship really, and I was in the wrong for not cautioning him for delaying the restart. That's where my worries start with assessment, if I do something like padfoot writes then I deserve to be slapped down but that would be a hard caution to sell.
On the examples given they are all areas that I do always undertake, sock tape, substitutions, wedding rings etc etc much to the annoyance of teams as I always get told about last weeks ref who let it go.

@Padfoot - it is more like easy losses, rather than easy wins.

Thanks, I don't hold back on cautions, if it is deserved and the right pathway then that it the way I go.whilst I don't go through life trying to make enemies I don't try to be everyone's friend, you just set yourself up to fail that way I think. Both assessments are in county league so they are better at ensuring sock tape and undershorts etc are correct.

Lincs22 is right about easy losses with sock tape and I can never get my head around why it would be let go. I very much doubt in the bar afterwards that they will be saying, top bloke that ref, messed his promotion up he did for letting us have that red tape on our black socks. More than likely it would be can you believe that berk let us get away with that colour tape.

I want the assessments to go well so no way will I throw away any promotion that way.

Really appreciate your advice, thank you all.

Ah.you've spoilt my illusion now Charlie.
Tuesday's game was fine and feedback for Asst assessment was fine, just told had a good game,no areas mentioned.

Yesterday's Refs assessment I feel was okay. There were 2 there, assessor and a trainee assessor, they asked how I thought it went, I dais I believed we had a good game and they agreed.
A couple of points raised, one was my whistle was fine in the 1st half but went a bit monotone in the 2nd half, never had that before but obviously something to be aware of in future.
Also said on one occasion I went too narrow and being wider at that time I would have seen my assistant flag slightly quicker
There was one flare up with a touch of handbags which they said was dealt with well and that was it.
They were in and out in about 2-3 minutes so either it was actually really bad and no point discussing or hopefully there were no other points to discuss and they were leaving so we could hit the shower.
Obviously until the assessment is in my hands it's up in the air.
Got another assessment next Thursday as well now.
Thanks everyone for your tips,time to enjoy my birthday now!!

Back