A&H

Tunisia vs Mali..

The Referee Store
I've just received a quite startling message mentioning early final whistles and a team chasing the ref off the pitch...

2nd half Drinks break, I’m guessing he forgets to stop watch or make note of stoppage, blows for FT on 85’, restarts and then a soft RC which he upholds despite being told to have a look at the screen, and then he blows for full time before the 90’ is up!

Losing teams management lose their heads! Carnage

Not watched it, but from the guardian website, the last few minutes sound wild:

90 min: The ref blows for full-time, with 89 minutes and 47 seconds gone, according to the clock on the TV screen. Tunisia’s manager and backroom staff stream on to the pitch to demand an explanation, pointing angrily at their watches. This has been a bizarre conclusion to the match. The ref and his assistants are surrounded by stewards for their protection and then ushered off the pitch. He’ll have some explaining to do later: his time-keeping seemed very odd and his red card decision excessively harsh. The penalty decisions, mind you, were reasonable: Mali scored from the spot and Tunisia missed, and that’s why the three points go to Mali.

88 min: The ref is advised to review his red card decision on the pitchside screen. He takes a look ... and concludes that he was right. No reprieve for El Bilal Touré. Mali must protect their lead with 10 men and who knows how long left.

87 min: RED CARD! Another curious decision from the ref. El Bilal Touré is shown a straight red card for catching Bronn a teeny bit late, on the foot, near half-way. It was barely worth a yellow but the Zambian official decided to send him straight off.

86 min: What’s going on? Tunisian staff look bewildered as the referee appears to blow for full-time even though several minutes remain. No one quite nows what’s going on ... and then the ref signals for play to continue. What was that whistle for?

• Wow
Reactions: es1
Yeah, a bit soft but don't think VAR should be recommending a review.

A pity VAR can't fix timekeeping 😂

imagine being the AR/4th to this and dealing with the players/management

tbh i think i'd want a piece of the ref too if he ended a game like this

rumours that the game will be restarting...absolute farce!

on sky sports right now if anyone is interested...mali do not want to come back out and play

talking about playing 3 added minutes...i've not watched the game but 3 mins seems light bearing in mind VAR interventions, red cards, drinks breaks and subs!

both teams coming back out now...

Last edited:
imagine being the AR/4th to this and dealing with the players/management

tbh i think i'd want a piece of the ref too if he ended a game like this

Well in reality they are all culpable in some way as they all have watches and comms. Surely they can ask him what on earth he is doing?

Well in reality they are all culpable in some way as they all have watches and comms. Surely they can ask him what on earth he is doing?

you'd have thought so - my mind drifts to assuming somthing dark might be at play

4th official now reffing which seems a sensible decision

“Janny Sikazwe's was suspended by CAF in 2018 for corruption in the CAF Champions League.”
Later let off.
Very interesting back story this ref had.

“Janny Sikazwe's was suspended by CAF in 2018 for corruption in the CAF Champions League.”
Later let off.
Very interesting back story this ref had.
Careful, didn't Bellingham get in trouble recently for alluding to similar?

Exactly - we can mostly see/excuse why almost any decision is made on here, but.............. ANY game with 3 or 4 of you, to get the timing wrong is inexcusable, but at an international tournament? that's just embarrassing.

All 4 end of tournament.

only read a few online sites but each official will be offski, And rightly so.

1st Penalty okay.

2nd Penalty no way, why is VAR even getting involved?

Red card, absolutely not.

Full Time Whistle - dodgy watch? Twice?

Surely a failing mark?

Replay?
Without referencing the LOTG pamphlet, is a game over after 1) 90 mins plus added time? 2) When the Referee signals the final whistle? 3) When the organisers determine the game is over via Competition Rules?, or 4) At some other arbitrary time, such as when one side decides they don't want to resume the game? It's not like the end of the game is a trivial event that doesn't need strict definition

Replay?
Without referencing the LOTG pamphlet, is a game over after 1) 90 mins plus added time? 2) When the Referee signals the final whistle? 3) When the organisers determine the game is over via Competition Rules?, or 4) At some other arbitrary time, such as when one side decides they don't want to resume the game? It's not like the end of the game is a trivial event that doesn't need strict definition
I would hazard a guess that is wjy Tunisia refused to come out to play the final few minutes, they will be angling to try and get the whole game replayed.

What a mess. You couldn't really excuse a level 7 for dropping such a clanger, but for a set of FIFA officials it just beggars belief.

Back