A&H

Junior/Youth Trip by coach?

NewbieRef

Was just spectating at my son's U17 match yesterday, when a really bizarre thing happened! One of our players was running down the touchline (both him and the ball in play) and then he was suddenly tripped up by the opposition coach stood on the sideline!

The ref told the coach off and restarted with a drop ball which seemed strange?! What should the correct action (coach send off?) and restart be? Also made me wonder what would happen if a spectator tripped the player instead?

The Referee Store
Manager should have been sent away imo. And the restart should have been DFK as per law 3.

Again, as per law 3, a dropped ball should be awarded if outside interference by a spectator.

Agree with James - if the offender is specifically associated with one of the teams, the restart is a DFK to the other team and you'd want to be seriously considering sending him away, if only for the sake of your match control.

Is it possible that the referee didn't realise that it was a team official? If so then a drop ball is the correct restart, although I'd still be considering sending them away.

And was the coach possibly the only responsible adult with the team, in which case you would have to consider abandoning rather than just sending away the coach. Perhaps the ref made a genuine mistake with the restart as well.

Agree with James - if the offender is specifically associated with one of the teams, the restart is a DFK to the other team and you'd want to be seriously considering sending him away, if only for the sake of your match control.

Is it possible that the referee didn't realise that it was a team official? If so then a drop ball is the correct restart, although I'd still be considering sending them away.
I'd be choosing a different phrase than 'specifically associated with one of the teams' to make sure its not misinterpreted. I believe the correct wording is "a team official, substitute, substituted or sent off player" :)

regarding spectators there should be a respect barrier. Was there not a coned off area for the coaches?

Thanks guys, thought as much! (unfortunately our league doesn't have spectator ropes or technical areas on many of the pitches)

Correct answer is in the LOTG:

Law 3 -

The coach and other officials named on the team list (with the exception of players or substitutes) are team officials. Anyone not named on the team list as a player, substitute or team official is an outside agent.

If a team official, substitute, substituted or sent off player or outside agent enters the field of play the referee must:
• only stop play if there is interference with play
• have the person removed when play stops
• take appropriate disciplinary action​

If play is stopped and the interference was by:
• a team official, substitute, substituted or sent off player, play restarts with a direct free kick or penalty kick

Correct action to take is to send the coach away from the touchline and restart with a DFK for the team in question assuming that the referee stopped the match due to the incident.​

Back