A&H

Training 4.5

And then there were four (sort of) ...

It's not been a good day as I received an email confirming I'd been unsuccessful in applying for a job I really wanted and the promised feedback wasn't delivered either, so I'm no wiser as to where I went wrong. I'm hoping that it was just a badly constructed application rather than my skills and experience falling short of the required standard.

My second dose of rejection came as I followed up on a letter advising me I'd been identified as a match for someone needing a bone marrow donation. Now for some the thought of needles being inserted in their back to drain some fluid out of their spine and the after effects in terms of the pain supposedly associated with the procedure put people off. Personally I don't think they're not seeing the bigger picture ... a few weeks discomfort for one person might mean another person extends their lifespan considerably or massively improves the quality of their life ... it's a no-brainer, isn't it?

Anyway, it turns out that my mild cardio-myopathy means that I'm not a suitable donor and I've been removed from the register. So whoever I matched with; I'm really sorry I wasn't able to help. I'm still going to keep myself registered to donate body parts for medical research and/or transplant when I die so that I still might have a chance of helping someone.

So with those jolly thoughts rolling around inside my head I turned up to train with Neil and Paul who trained last Thursday. It seems that James P is having to work late for a few weeks and the others who said they'd train, didn't arrive. Our 4th runner was a young girl who was sitting with her friends watching us train. They all shouted that we were rude for not talking to them on the way past and it was only when she started running with us that she realised it was because we could only just breathe never mind talk. She lasted half a lap of our 650m field and then gave up!

Tonight's exercise was very straight forward. Once we had done our 5 minute run (at a much slower pace than previously) and our shuttles, we started the exercise but not before Eddie turned up to let us know he was on child minding duties, so couldn't train. We wished him well and set off with a 6 minute run, 3 minute walk, 4 minute run, 2 minute walk and 2 minute run and a 1 minute walk. I was keeping to a nice even pace and was finding my legs seemed to be able to carry me much more easily than when we did the first exercise just 2 weeks ago and even managed to stay within talking distance of the other 2.

After the minute's walk we ran for another 2 minutes, took a 2 minute walk, ran for 4 minutes, took a 3 minute walk and finished off with a nice easy 6 minute run. I stayed within 15m of Paul and Neil on this last one despite my calves and hips aching and I was glad to get our warm down over and done and on my way home. We're back out again on Wednesday if anyone wants to join us.

Calories 958, average heart rate 83%. Click the image for a larger version.

1430959096615306100-4589510505311197988

The Referee Store
Back