A&H

Tournament!

Aaron Aven

Level 7 Referee
Just had a tournament today and boy, was it hard work! 10-3, refereeing with 2 minute breaks! It was really hard, but I loved every second! No hassle at all; apart from the semi final...

Yellow v Red, Reds are down 3-0. Yellow player has a shot from 20 yards out and it hits the cross bar and goes in and bounces out of the goal! (A bit like Frank Lampards ungiven goal!)

I gave the goal and the manager asked why I gave it, and I said because the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line, and he said I was wrong, so I asked him why? He said because he could see it better than me, even though I was closer than him :confused: He kept questioning every single decision after that.

So I turned to him and asked if he signed the Respect form at the start of the season, and he said yes, so I said please be quiet then as I am trying to referee this game.

The game finished 4-0, and he said he was going to appeal the score of 4-0, to the FA, to make it 3-0! What is the point? They would have lost anyway! He also said I need to improve my decision making... Which I thought was out of order...

But I just want to know, should I worry about it or just forget about it? :)

All in all it was a great day!

The Referee Store
Great to hear that it was such an enjoyable day ))

Certainly don't worry about it. You sound very confident that you made the right decision so in all probability it was just sheer frustration on his part at losing a big game. Highly unlikely that when he calms down he will do anything ridiculous like contact the FA. Only thing worth spending any time considering IMO is whether your position was as good as possible to make that goal line decision .. closeness is one thing but having a good angle probably far more important.

Keep smiling :)

Just had a tournament today and boy, was it hard work! 10-3, refereeing with 2 minute breaks! It was really hard, but I loved every second! No hassle at all; apart from the semi final...

Yellow v Red, Reds are down 3-0. Yellow player has a shot from 20 yards out and it hits the cross bar and goes in and bounces out of the goal! (A bit like Frank Lampards ungiven goal!)

I gave the goal and the manager asked why I gave it, and I said because the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line, and he said I was wrong, so I asked him why? He said because he could see it better than me, even though I was closer than him :confused: He kept questioning every single decision after that.

So I turned to him and asked if he signed the Respect form at the start of the season, and he said yes, so I said please be quiet then as I am trying to referee this game.

The game finished 4-0, and he said he was going to appeal the score of 4-0, to the FA, to make it 3-0! What is the point? They would have lost anyway! He also said I need to improve my decision making... Which I thought was out of order...

But I just want to know, should I worry about it or just forget about it? :)

All in all it was a great day!

Great to hear you enjoyed it! For future though, if I were you I would avoid confronting managers like this during a match as it could escalate. If he does want to talk to you calmly after the game then that's fine, but sometimes it's best to avoid asking a coach's take on a decision in the heat of the moment...

Great to hear you enjoyed it! For future though, if I were you I would avoid confronting managers like this during a match as it could escalate. If he does want to talk to you calmly after the game then that's fine, but sometimes it's best to avoid asking a coach's take on a decision in the heat of the moment...

If a manager is being a loud **** then it's perfectly acceptable, and advisable, to speak to them. If they carry on then just bin them and report.

If you ignore it, it won't go away, and you will just end up with further problems as it begins to affect the players and their own dissent levels rise.....which means your card count will rise.......

If a manager is being a loud **** then it's perfectly acceptable, and advisable, to speak to them. If they carry on then just bin them and report.

If you ignore it, it won't go away, and you will just end up with further problems as it begins to affect the players and their own dissent levels rise.....which means your card count will rise.......

Good point! Maybe having a word will make them realise they're getting a bit out of hand!

Yeah people try and play that card a lot, I had an incident where a manager was complaining about the ball being too hard (even though he hadnt touched it) but I'd measured the pressure with a gauge thing pre-game to be in accordance with Law 2 and it was perfectly fine. After a kid (u11s) headed the ball completely wrong (landed on the back of his head from a goal kick) he was being very abusive after that so i did speak to him a couple of times. He said he was going to report me to the FA for something like endangering kids' safety but i was like, yeah, you do that and Ill tell them in the same report how I complied with LoTG and how you were in contradiction to RESPECT codes and child safety by abusive and threatening behavior! 3 months on and not a peep from the league or the FA... LOL!

Typical sore loser manager - sadly they appear from time to time. I like what you did in pointing out the respect contract, a good calm response, just a shame it didn't cool his jets any.

Let him do what he wants. You can take comfort in Law 5 - the decision of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored, and final result of the match are final.

Job done.

That's true, but sometimes if the coach is irate and has nothing to say other than 'you were wrong' then trying to retaliate could provoke him/her and make it worse. But it all depends on the situation I guess... if there is a specific decision where you are correct in law then you can try explaining that, but it's difficult with more subjective decisions such as ball in and out of play where although the ref probably got it spot on, there's less of an obvious right and wrong.

EDIT: However, I think you dealt with this one very well Aaron and I doubt he said much more after you told him to be quiet. And if he was to report you, he would need video evidence anyway - and that's assuming it was a reportable offence in the first place, which it wasn't!

That's true, but sometimes if the coach is irate and has nothing to say other than 'you were wrong' then trying to retaliate could provoke him/her and make it worse. But it all depends on the situation I guess... if there is a specific decision where you are correct in law then you can try explaining that, but it's difficult with more subjective decisions such as ball in and out of play where although the ref probably got it spot on, there's less of an obvious right and wrong.

EDIT: However, I think you dealt with this one very well Aaron and I doubt he said much more after you told him to be quiet. And if he was to report you, he would need video evidence anyway - and that's assuming it was a reportable offence in the first place, which it wasn't!

If a manager is making loud and noticeable contributions from his area criticising my decisions, I couldn't care less how irate he is....I'm going to be having words. He has 2 choices, quieten down or leave.

A manager who is loudly shouting out criticising your performance is going to destroy your match control if you don't do something about it. His players will get more and more wound up and end up giving you dissent and/or committing rash challenges as their discipline erodes.
All because their manager is convincing them they are being hard done by.

Ignore gobby managers at your peril.

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! Feel a lot better about the decision I made and I'm glad I stuck by it!

Last edited:
If a manager is making loud and noticeable contributions from his area criticising my decisions, I couldn't care less how irate he is....I'm going to be having words. He has 2 choices, quieten down or leave.

A manager who is loudly shouting out criticising your performance is going to destroy your match control if you don't do something about it. His players will get more and more wound up and end up giving you dissent and/or committing rash challenges as their discipline erodes.
All because their manager is convincing them they are being hard done by.

Ignore gobby managers at your peril.

I'd tell him to be quiet, but wouldn't ask his opinion on my decisions...

Back