Goal?

• Goal - attacker not interfering with opponents

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No Goal - attacker interfered with the keeper

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No Goal - Attacker forced the defender to play the bal

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
The difference was between an attention getting flag and an offside flag... I took an exaggerated step onto the pitch (as per instructions). It was only my second or third line since I'd qualified. The main thing was, I'd gained the attention of the referee, who came over to me. We spoke about the scenario and both agreed on the outcome.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
There does seem to be something wrong with the law when a defender is better off letting the ball run through his legs to let an attacker (in an offside position) play it.
A good video on how to deal with players. I like how Chris Beath sends them all away to speak with the AR, then sends Cahill off for OFFINABUS.

The difference was between an attention getting flag and an offside flag... I took an exaggerated step onto the pitch (as per instructions). It was only my second or third line since I'd qualified. The main thing was, I'd gained the attention of the referee, who came over to me. We spoke about the scenario and both agreed on the outcome.

Surely an "attention getting flag" is not for offside (or ball in/out of play, or goal/no goal).
If it is a potential offside goal and you are not sure, you stand.
The signal for goal is either: run towards half way, or flag up to signal the ball has crossed the line if not clear to all, and then run.

If you wave an attention getting flag, you are signalling there has been a different offence and you will cause a great deal of confusion (of course I have done this;))

It is up to the ref to look for the assistant - if the AR is standing, the ref knows to confer or to answer the "question" from the AR with a clear signal if the ref can decide or has decided goal/no goal. If the AR is waving, then, depending on which hand the AR has the flag in, he/she/you might cause a penalty to be awarded.

(I have not been trained in the UK but I understand this is universal, no?)

Edit: in the clip, the AR is not "wrong" to flag offside, but the smart move would have been to stand. The players may have still reacted the same way of course... I think the assessor would knock one off for the signal there...

There does seem to be something wrong with the law when a defender is better off letting the ball run through his legs to let an attacker (in an offside position) play it.
A good video on how to deal with players. I like how Chris Beath sends them all away to speak with the AR, then sends Cahill off for OFFINABUS.
Agree. It's a shame, though, that mobbing the referee like this is so highly tolerated in Australia - it should not have taken that long to get rid of players (and I'd love to see the plastic coming out when players don't go away so the ref/AR can chat). Not a criticism of Beath - it's the culture of the Australian match and I agree that I think he handled it well.

IMO the AR should not have flagged. In Australia we use the flag across the chest as the 'talk' signal.
The defender playing the ball should have given the AR sufficient doubt to know to make it less controversial and keep the flag down but discuss it with the ref - because even if the striker got a touch on the ball, it would still have been a good goal.
That AR made some other blunders during the match too, unfortunately.
In the HAL I've seen a lot of inappropriate flagging, such as flagging for offside when a defender cleanly intercepts. I've been saying it for a long time - Australian referee coaching is a massive problem at all levels.

Back