A&H

Tough game being observed

Rob123

First time being observed level 5-4 and felt like I had a poor game 😔

Both teams just constantly at each other and me through the whole 90 minutes. Should of had a second caution for a player but didn't so kmi wrong ( which observer mentioned) ... just a bad day all round

Just a deflating experience with an awful game and poor feedback from observer.

The Referee Store

Both teams just constantly at each other and me through the whole 90 minutes. Should of had a second caution for a player but didn't so kmi wrong ( which observer mentioned) ... just a bad day all round

It’s not ideal, but it’s also not necessarily a season ender

It’s hard to feel like doing it now, but you’ve just got to try and learn from it and adapt. You mention missed second caution; did you know it was a caution at the time and tried to manage it, or none the wiser at the time that it was a yellow?

It’s not ideal, but it’s also not necessarily a season ender

It’s hard to feel like doing it now, but you’ve just got to try and learn from it and adapt. You mention missed second caution; did you know it was a caution at the time and tried to manage it, or none the wiser at the time that it was a yellow?
Thanks. 100% learn from it and take it into my next observations. Tried to manage it and should have just given the caution.

Thanks. 100% learn from it and take it into my next observations. Tried to manage it and should have just given the caution.
There you go then- that’s a mistake you won’t go making again.

I used to try to manage too much, and that was the main reason it took me a couple of years to get to L3. Once I started issuing cautions rather than managing all the time, it all fell into place. I’m not saying never manage and flash cards around the place, but you need to look after yourself. Best ever advice I got was from a friend who was watching me on a game I had a mare on, as I tried to manage too much and basically lost control. The advice was simple; players aren’t your mates. If they can try and sweet talk their way out of a caution, they will. This only goes down as a missed caution to you, not them. So look after yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily advice as we are all different… I used to try to manage too much and was too forgiving in mens.

As well as cards according to LotG, there’s another change I’ve made. Instead of starting the game waiting for the match to come to me, waiting for the players to dictate how much control I need to take, instead I now try to take control. Assertive, strong, loud from kick off.

I realise now this is what higher refs I line for do. Why wait?!

Your first 5-4 observation - don't take this the wrong way; but you are now with the Big Boys.....

CFA assessment are there to develop you and promote you. at L4 you are in competition with other referees, so there is a standard expected by the players, club officials and the observers. Too many new L4 think they are the "finished product" because they have made L4l; but they are way off. The first observation can be a shock to the system. I had one who had been quickly promoted to L4 a few years ago, and he had a poor match and got a suitable report. But he was shocked on the following - a player already had a YC and handled in the area (near the penalty spot), goalkeeper on his line so in my view he would have saved the shot. But the referee sent him of for a DOSGO - H; whereas the correct decision was a 2nd YC and RC. He could not accept that he was wrong in law and kept saying it was the same outcome, the player was dismissed - But no, he was wrong in law and this was a KMI so a 6.5 had to be awarded..

This may sound tough, L4 observers are their to find the best referee, not smooth your ego.

But, these harsh early observation work, as you stop doing the bad things and become better referees. I hope you took the advice from the observer on how to develop, and I think one of those would have been stronger on the moaning / dissent to you.

Your first 5-4 observation - don't take this the wrong way; but you are now with the Big Boys.....

CFA assessment are there to develop you and promote you. at L4 you are in competition with other referees, so there is a standard expected by the players, club officials and the observers. Too many new L4 think they are the "finished product" because they have made L4l; but they are way off. The first observation can be a shock to the system. I had one who had been quickly promoted to L4 a few years ago, and he had a poor match and got a suitable report. But he was shocked on the following - a player already had a YC and handled in the area (near the penalty spot), goalkeeper on his line so in my view he would have saved the shot. But the referee sent him of for a DOSGO - H; whereas the correct decision was a 2nd YC and RC. He could not accept that he was wrong in law and kept saying it was the same outcome, the player was dismissed - But no, he was wrong in law and this was a KMI so a 6.5 had to be awarded..

This may sound tough, L4 observers are their to find the best referee, not smooth your ego.

But, these harsh early observation work, as you stop doing the bad things and become better referees. I hope you took the advice from the observer on how to develop, and I think one of those would have been stronger on the moaning / dissent to you.
Well..... there is some conjecture as to when and whether HB can be considered SPA for a shot on goal
L4 development sessions have advised against Shot/HB/SPA, but there's no consensus on this forum among our Law Decryption Team.
I doubt I'd be going down the C7 path based on the description
**** knows!?

Last edited:
Can you talk me through the KMI? What was the nature of the offense and why do you think you missed it?

Back