A&H

Tough game and bizarre dive leading to...

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Testy one tonight: 7 YCs, 2 accusations of racism, one penalty for a blatant reckless barge in the back on the smallest player on the field was being targeted, 2 of the yellows were for off the ball trips - one of which was orange zone... had to stop the game at the second racist accusation and warn all participants that if the officials hear something its an instant early bath... three languages in play making understanding all comments challenging... only 5 goals, including one great diving header... and two "dives"... the first when two players went with high feet and the worst offender tried to cover his offence with a shrill squeal and failed... the second was much more unfortunate...

To call it a dive is a little harsh considering what happened but I saw it very clearly from a good position. The big blue ex-goalie, who has eaten nuff ice cream, has already tried to go in late a few times. It's the 93 minute. And he's 1-4 down. He challenges for a header and is a tiny bit late. He gets off the ground a little which takes some effort. Yellow wins the ball but I am happy for play to continue. However, in the moment after being the split second late, blue decides to perform a mild simulation. He shouts a little and instead of landing on his feet after the bump with yellow, he twists to his side. The guy is nudging 20 stone and comes down with a huge thump. Because of his subtle play act, he doesn't put his hands down instinctively to cushion the impact. He whacks the side of his head on the floor and is out cold. The ball has gone back to the yellow GK, I blow, scream drop ball and don't panic, "medic" who is just a team mate is very slow to come on even with my shouts for his urgent attention, meanwhile two players check his tongue and put him in recovery. He was out cold for 30 seconds. Thankfully was able to walk off the pitch 3 minutes later.

Game of two halves: first half was easy. 2 sharp yellows for reckless. One first half incident I regret. The game was calm and two players tripped each off the ball. They could easily have had a YC each but I thought I could let it go with a super mild warning. Once again I did not go strong enough with the first challenging disciplinary incident of the game!

The Referee Store
If you are finding the same reoccuring issue then you already know how to rectify it

Somebody once compared refereeing a game to riding a new horse. You keep a firm grip of reigns to begin with, as you dont know the horse or how it will behave
If the horse settles down and is responding to your control, then you too can ease off and give it some slack. If however horsey is stubborn and tricky, you keep a strong grip on it throughout.

Manages to knock himself out attempting a mid-air dive?
Mate, that's one of the all-time great refereeing stories!!

Also, I love that you called out drop ball immediately. Really good refereeing there, prevent arguments immediately. Nice one - and something that can be used, not just for dives, but anytime you stop play immediately after a collision but there's no foul

If you are finding the same reoccuring issue then you already know how to rectify it

Somebody once compared refereeing a game to riding a new horse. You keep a firm grip of reigns to begin with, as you dont know the horse or how it will behave
If the horse settles down and is responding to your control, then you too can ease off and give it some slack. If however horsey is stubborn and tricky, you keep a strong grip on it throughout.
I have had a couple of rides where the horsey is riding along nicely, i have given it plenty of slack and then all of a sudden out of nowhere, POW the horse is spooked, right in front of the technical area :) . And BAM, I was bucked off and the horse now had a mind of its own. I am sure a few referees can relate to that.

Very good analogy

Manages to knock himself out attempting a mid-air dive?
Mate, that's one of the all-time great refereeing stories!!

Also, I love that you called out drop ball immediately. Really good refereeing there, prevent arguments immediately. Nice one - and something that can be used, not just for dives, but anytime you stop play immediately after a collision but there's no foul

Thanks. And yes, it was bizarre. I shouted drop ball and don't panic (in the local language) very quickly, while I still didn't know if he was out or just lying still for whatever reason.

Of course I was very glad that the players were all sensible and one from each team immediately tended to him. Slight niggle is that, this match is at the last level before serious competition. So, it's a competitive hobby league, grassroots, a bit of mixed ability, some teams that don't train, but also serious teams on the way up. There are ARs, flying subs, but relaxed laws... i.e. there's an assigned but unqualified trainer... in this case it meant no one on the benches qualified in first aid AFAIK.

in this case it meant no one on the benches qualified in first aid AFAIK.

How in this day and age there isn't someone first aid qualified with every team at every level is beyond me. Surprised that we aren't mandated to either.

Back in my old league, I was expected to check that both teams had a first aid kit available before KO. Of course, I was never actually asked to check that each team had someone who knew how to use it....

Back