A&H

TOSS OF THE COIN TO START PLAY

Craigdwhite

I am a Referee Appointments officer and have been checking assessments of junior referees.
The assessor wrote on an assessment "Toss of coin not to hit ground must catch then show team captains"
I looked through the LOTG and found nothing about it.
Is there a correct way or is there a choice whether to catch or let it fall to the ground.
Craig White - Port Macquarie, NSW

The Referee Store
There is nothing in the LOTG that stipulates.

This is more a coaching point, I suspect the meaning behind it is to avoid the referee having to bend down and pick it up off the floor.

I actually let it hit the ground on purpose, that way, I have no influence on its landing at all, my only role is to spin it up into the air
Nobody can say I know which way it falling, or that i caught it a certain way, nothing
On the 1/100 occasions it does land in mud side on, we simply do it again.

it also takes away any embarrassment when I go to catch coin and miss :(

Any assessor concerned about a coin toss has a lot in life to worry about..........

Last edited:
I'm on the assessor's side here. I wouldn't mark down a referee for it, but add it as a 'consider doing this' comment.

Never understood the idea of letting it hit the ground so the ref doesn't influence the result - has anybody, anywhere, every heard of an accusation of that? Both teams get a different advantage.

When I started refereeing, we were taught to be very conscious of body language, with the ideas of not bending over in front of players if you could help it. Bending over to pick something up at the player's feet is a bit.....submissive.

Obviously with the stupid free kick shaving cream, top tier referees no longer follow this, but the subtleties of relative body position are used in a lot of professions to subtly manipulate the audience - Trying to avoid bending down immediately in front of a player is in line with techniques used in other roles. You see these sorts of considerations to height and body position in the animal kingdom - lowering yourself is submissive.

Any assessor concerned about a coin toss has a lot in life to worry about..........
Performance is made up of big and little things. The argument on the assessor's side is that this is part of setting the right first impression.

Reactions: one
It's not something I'd put in a report but a suggestiin in debriefing at the end of a coaching or mentoring session. And only for newer referees. It looks more professional and avoids some things like the coin getting dirty or sitting on a sharp angle on a patch of uneven grass. Also easier to look the outcome.
Having said that I never understood why some referees, after catching the coin with one hand then flip it to the back of the other hand. The concaved palm is a much better place for a coin than a convexed back of a hand.

Having said that, experienced referees have seen and tried different thing before and getting them to change a trivial matter like this is nothing but being pedantic.

I'm on the assessor's side here. I wouldn't mark down a referee for it, but add it as a 'consider doing this' comment.

Never understood the idea of letting it hit the ground so the ref doesn't influence the result - has anybody, anywhere, every heard of an accusation of that? Both teams get a different advantage.

When I started refereeing, we were taught to be very conscious of body language, with the ideas of not bending over in front of players if you could help it. Bending over to pick something up at the player's feet is a bit.....submissive.

Obviously with the stupid free kick shaving cream, top tier referees no longer follow this, but the subtleties of relative body position are used in a lot of professions to subtly manipulate the audience - Trying to avoid bending down immediately in front of a player is in line with techniques used in other roles. You see these sorts of considerations to height and body position in the animal kingdom - lowering yourself is submissive.

Agree, I was always told that to bend over and pick up the coin is bad body language, plus you get the coin sticking in the mud so it is better to catch.

Like a true manager I delegate the responsibility completely, and give the coin to the home captain to toss and the away captain to call.

Whether you are refereeing the World Cup Final or the Dog & Duck v Poachers Pocket on a Sunday morning, refereeing is a tough job.

Why are we even worrying about this?

I can only conclude that the assessed ref had a fantastic game if the assessor felt the need to highlight this as a development point.

Whether you are refereeing the World Cup Final or the Dog & Duck v Poachers Pocket on a Sunday morning, refereeing is a tough job.

Why are we even worrying about this?

I can only conclude that the assessed ref had a fantastic game if the assessor felt the need to highlight this as a development point.
I can't say much about the specific assessment. But small things are easier to get used to a better practice earlier in your career . Another good axample is taking at least one match ball with you at half time. Nothing in the LOTG about it but it makes sense to instill 'attention to details' into young ambitious referees.

Performance is made up of big and little things. The argument on the assessor's side is that this is part of setting the right first impression.

Cant disagree more if I try. I class it as human.

The ref must have had a fantastic match if that's what the assessor decided to include in his assessment.

I guess its like anything when you are new/young, you dont think to argue/question things in case you upset the Granny Smith mobile
If that happened to me today I would tear the report up in front of the assesors face and ask him to Ebay himself a life

If we are talking coins, whats folks take on a ref, say with a unique special coin, doing his toss with it, then marching over to hand it to the 4th (am guessing so he can lose it instead)?

Back