A&H

Tips for identifying offender

cZulu

Level 7 Referee
As the title suggests I sometimes find it difficult to identify the offending player after a foul has occurred. I.e. the players may have their backs towards you, your mind is occupied in making the correct decision in the immediate aftermath, other players may join in the melee after the whistle, offender walks away/hides, etc. Especially when a card is needed this can be a difficult situation, and can result in a complete loss of control

I don't know if its just a case of improving my own facial recognition skills but is this something others experience and any tips to deal with it better?

The Referee Store
As the title suggests I sometimes find it difficult to identify the offending player after a foul has occurred. I.e. the players may have their backs towards you, your mind is occupied in making the correct decision in the immediate aftermath, other players may join in the melee after the whistle, offender walks away/hides, etc. Especially when a card is needed this can be a difficult situation, and can result in a complete loss of control

I don't know if its just a case of improving my own facial recognition skills but is this something others experience and any tips to deal with it better?

Blow the whistle, focus your eyes on the miscreant(s) and repeat the player's number(s) in your head. :)

If you can, make a mental note of the number of the player who is about to make a challenge before they've even made the challenge. Then you already have it in your head, and you can focus on the challenge itself, and then any afters that may happen. If you can't see the number, try using some sort of distinguishing feature (hair style/colour, boots, tattoos etc etc), although obviously that can possibly lead to mistaken identity if there are several players on that team that look similar, have the same colour boots etc!

I have done this a number of times and mentioned here. It worked well for me. Situations when this happens often involves a melee and needs time to calm thing down. Then you need to get back to player(s) who started it, often for a sanction. If the player(s) are the captains I won't forget or lose them as I get to know them early. So once all is calm, I get the captain(s) in first and give them a short talking to, I can't tolerate this, don't want to see it any more, blaa blaa. Then ask the captain(s) to get the player(s) who started it, not revealing I don't know who they are. Now that I have the player(s) I give them the bollocking and/or the cards needed.

It also happens when you play advantage on a reckless challenge. Once signalled advantage, I point to the offender and stare at their face (or their number if back to me) for a second. Can do this while running. Has two benefits. Easier to remember the player after the next stoppage. Easier to give a card as everyone expects it coming now.

It also happens when you play advantage on a reckless challenge. Once signalled advantage, I point to the offender and stare at their face (or their number if back to me) for a second. Can do this while running. Has two benefits. Easier to remember the player after the next stoppage. Easier to give a card as everyone expects it coming now.
Can also add to that "seven, we'll talk in a moment."

If I'm coming back for one, I also give a loud shout so everyone can hear, I'm coming back to that one number X saying the number, or making a point of looking at the player which helps to imprint them in my mind.

I had a real problem with this when I first got my L4, I'd frequently lose players and end up relying on player reaction to find them. One observer found it highly amusing that the player I'd cautioned was not only 6" taller than the offender, but also a totally different skin colour. He compared it to the Only Fools and Horses episode where Del, Rodney and Grandad gave three totally different descriptions to Slater as to who had stolen the microwave :)

Once he had stopped laughing he did say he had identified a trait I had, and this was that I had a habit of looking at the floor after giving a decision. This was probably a confidence thing, I didn't want to make eye contact, but I had no idea I was doing it until he told me. And sure enough once I made a conscious effort not to do it the problem got a lot better, I'm still far from perfect but nowhere near as bad as before.

If I'm coming back for one, I also give a loud shout so everyone can hear, I'm coming back to that one number X saying the number, or making a point of looking at the player which helps to imprint them in my mind.
And I tell them the card is coming so that everyone can hear. No surprised. What you don’t want is a revenge tackle or second yellow... both lead to a mess!

I lost one in the setting sun the other week. Reckless advantage. I got it right at the third player.

Great tip about looking for the number before the challenge. Simple but never occurred to me before!

I had a real problem with this when I first got my L4, I'd frequently lose players and end up relying on player reaction to find them. One observer found it highly amusing that the player I'd cautioned was not only 6" taller than the offender, but also a totally different skin colour. He compared it to the Only Fools and Horses episode where Del, Rodney and Grandad gave three totally different descriptions to Slater as to who had stolen the microwave :)

Once he had stopped laughing he did say he had identified a trait I had, and this was that I had a habit of looking at the floor after giving a decision. This was probably a confidence thing, I didn't want to make eye contact, but I had no idea I was doing it until he told me. And sure enough once I made a conscious effort not to do it the problem got a lot better, I'm still far from perfect but nowhere near as bad as before.
I've struggled with this since moving up to L4. Will definitely make a conscious effort to do that.

I've struggled with this since moving up to L4. Will definitely make a conscious effort to do that.

Hope it works. I went down the approach of staring directly at the offender and not taking my eyes off him. Made a massive difference for me, and amazing to think how something so simple can improve your game.

And that is why it is worth referees at any level going for promotion. Even if you don't want to go beyond Level 5 you will get great advice and they might well spot traits that you don't even know you have.

Hope it works. I went down the approach of staring directly at the offender and not taking my eyes off him. Made a massive difference for me, and amazing to think how something so simple can improve your game.

And that is why it is worth referees at any level going for promotion. Even if you don't want to go beyond Level 5 you will get great advice and they might well spot traits that you don't even know you have.
Agree. I've found some of the things people have seen very helpful. One was ball watching. An observer told me I watched the ball up in the air. I immediately thought, "nonsense, I stopped watching punts in the air long ago"--and in the second half realized that while I didn't watch punts in the air, I did follow other balls up into the air, even though I had no idea I was doing it.

I definitely do that. I identified that with myself at the start of this season. Its a habit I'm trying to break. I also tend to go straight to the fouled player on the floor to check they're OK but then forget who the offender was. I often think if a player has stayed down after a challenge thats questioned, if you are there checking he's OK whilst he's down it sells the decision really well. Problem is I've instinctively done that and forgot the offender that I may want to warn or card for persistent!

I'm trying to have the process of talking to myself. "Yellow 5" etc as mentioned above but its not embedded yet. I'll get there. I've also had recent games with a high card count and km terrible at remembering who I've already given a yellow too and I do worry a bit that I'll go all Graham Poll 🤣

I definitely do that. I identified that with myself at the start of this season. Its a habit I'm trying to break. I also tend to go straight to the fouled player on the floor to check they're OK but then forget who the offender was. I often think if a player has stayed down after a challenge thats questioned, if you are there checking he's OK whilst he's down it sells the decision really well. Problem is I've instinctively done that and forgot the offender that I may want to warn or card for persistent!

I'm trying to have the process of talking to myself. "Yellow 5" etc as mentioned above but its not embedded yet. I'll get there. I've also had recent games with a high card count and km terrible at remembering who I've already given a yellow too and I do worry a bit that I'll go all Graham Poll 🤣
It's where I find taking a name helps the most. Once a player is on a caution, I'll use their first name to communicate with them through the rest of that game.

At the risk of being sycophantic, it's also why this forum is so good - every member is potentially getting the benefit of a really wide range of approaches, tips, tricks and experiences.

I Find repeating Colour & number of the offender(in My Head) works for me in the identifying the offending player
when am playing an infringement advantage

I always say to a player if I'm playing an advantage or I lose them in the process I'm coming back to you player or I'm coming back to you number X it puts that number into my head immediately so I remember

Back