A&H

Time Commitments

SmithJ

Hi guys, sorry if something like this has been posted before. I'm no longer able to play football (nor really good enough) and have been thinking about being a ref for quite a long time. I'm 26 and am wanting to start it out as a hobby and just see where it takes me.

I'm sure every one of you is in the same boat, but I'm worried about the time constraints. I have a full time job which doesn't really have consistent working hours. It can often be nights or weekends.

My question is, if i was to take the course, would they get annoyed with me if i had to quite often turn them down? How much time do i have to leave available and is there any system or way of letting them know when I'm available and not? Are you expected to pick up so many games in a given period?

Shall i take the plunge?

Thanks for the help.

The Referee Store
Hi guys, sorry if something like this has been posted before. I'm no longer able to play football (nor really good enough) and have been thinking about being a ref for quite a long time. I'm 26 and am wanting to start it out as a hobby and just see where it takes me.

I'm sure every one of you is in the same boat, but I'm worried about the time constraints. I have a full time job which doesn't really have consistent working hours. It can often be nights or weekends.

My question is, if i was to take the course, would they get annoyed with me if i had to quite often turn them down? How much time do i have to leave available and is there any system or way of letting them know when I'm available and not? Are you expected to pick up so many games in a given period?

Shall i take the plunge?

Thanks for the help.
Shifts are no bother... basically you "close" dates you are not available. The initial levels T and 7-5 no one is bothered how many games you do... just dont expect the plum ties e.g. finals. You may still get some.
Once you get to level 4 and above availability is looked as a higher priority. However, I know a level 3 (1 below national league north/south) who is a paramedic and he gets on alright.

Shall i take the plunge?

Thanks for the help.

Same boat as me mate, 28, bus driver so variable hours (but on a 4 week rota so I know what I'm doing in 20 Sundays time, for example, which helps).

Started reffing end of last year.

PM me any questions if you'd like.

But best thing you can do regarding availability is get your days on /off reffing in advance, I close dates if I'm unsure but tell them on the email that I will be in touch nearer the time if it changes.

You're only expected to pick up lots of games and be available if you want promotion, and that's after your first season.

It's mainly about enjoying it, and it's a good course to do.

Shall i take the plunge?

Thanks for the help.
Reliability is more important than availability. Capability is a bonus!

Shall i take the plunge?

Thanks for the help.

I was a shift manager when I started reffing and I'm now a site manager so I've been on this particular journey.

It's pretty simple, if you're shifts are regular like mine were I'd just email everyone concerned a month before with dates I was and wasn't available.

If they're irregular then explain that to the ref secretary etc and come up with some arrangement with him/her.

I won't lie, it can be difficult if it's irregular. I started doing a vets league this year. Every game went great and I got very high club marks and all that stuff that I couldn't give a stuff about, but one weekend I had one supervisor had a heart attack and one who's mrs went into labour. The other two were on holiday so for the first and probably last time in this job I had to work a Saturday. I gave 6 days notice (as soon as I could basically) but I didn't get another game for 5 months, even though I explained what happened and I've never pulled out of any of the 88 games I've done before or since.

I'm on the line in a semi final for this league next week but it was held against me which is unfortunate but I understand why the league did it. So my advice would be to be very up front about your shifts and issues from the off.

Reliability is more important than availability. Capability is a bonus!
Was the association appointments officer for four years and only the smart ones understood this. Most refs though I don't like it when they are not available. I dint mind it at all. My problem was those who were available but turned their appointments down.

@SmithJ of course do the course. There is room for everyone with all different personal circumstances. When it comes to start doing games, talk to your appointments secretary and explain your situation. He will tell you how to manage your availability and appointments in a way he likes but also suits your circumstances. You can always come to a compromised agreement.

EDIT: the easiest way to manage it is to appoint you to games which would end up without an official anyway and give you no NARs. That way if you pull out with a few hours notice, then very little impact. But every area does this differently so talking to your your appointments Secretary/officer is the first step.

Last edited:
I like the word adaptability, the ability to react to what you see quickly, efficiently and effectively... @Mintyref used to call it 'Making it up as you go' but we were a bit more cultured down the M62!!

Thanks for everyone who replied it was a great help! Really appreciate everyone on this site by the way, I've done a lot of reading through it and everyone seems to help a lot!

One more question, how far advanced are you told about appointments for matches?

Thanks for everyone who replied it was a great help! Really appreciate everyone on this site by the way, I've done a lot of reading through it and everyone seems to help a lot!

One more question, how far advanced are you told about appointments for matches?
To begin with, most leagues will appoint on a weekly basis

The level i do which is generally U13s to U16s i just get a text or email on the Thursday giving me my games, i work shifts so cant always commit so just a quick text usually on the Monday saying not available this weekend and all is good.

You've got to remember that at the level most of us are working, the matches will be appointed by a single ref/ex-ref in his spare time. So as a result, the answer to that question really varies depending on how busy that person is - but somewhere between a week and a month is advance is fairly standard in my experience.

What? So that we all officiate exactly the same?

🤔
Like that's going to work...............

This book apparently tells you that you can't say hurty words but it doesn't actually say what the hurty words are.. They then punish you as a referee if your Club Marks are low because you've acted to rid the game of the hurty words that you guessed were hurty words....Who knew!!!!

In the OA league I do I get 4 weeks notice

Back