Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Another of the PMGOL referees that i'm not convinced by
NUFC 0 - 1 Chelsea
That should have been today's score
The penalty probably not for me
The Newcastle goal definitely not
To be fair to the ref, i don't think he had a good view of either incident. He shouldn't have guessed for the pen and his AR let him down with the elbow

The Referee Store
It's a penalty, people are getting tied up on the fact that he gto the ball. He did indeed do that, but he then wiped out Alonso with his trailing leg.

Agree on the Newcastle goal, referee or more likely assistant should have spotted it really.

Thought Tierney was poor for most of the game to be honest.

Should have shown yellow cards far sooner than he eventually did especially with Hazard being kicked off the pitch during the first half.

We all know keepers get away with taking the proverbial when holding the ball, but on one occasion in 1st half Newcastle keeper held it for 18 seconds with no hint of a hurry up, absolutely ridiculous.

Looked a penalty in real time (admittedly with blue glasses on) . Newcastle defender has done himself no favours with lunging from behind and the scissor action of the follow through probably swayed the call.

Was screaming foul in real time for Newcastle's equaliser, replays look fairly conclusive. Should be an easy call for officials at this level.

It's a penalty, people are getting tied up on the fact that he gto the ball. He did indeed do that, but he then wiped out Alonso with his trailing leg.

Agree on the Newcastle goal, referee or more likely assistant should have spotted it really.
I can live with the penalty decision. Just wanted to bounce it off someone. The tackle was a mess and i recall giving a penalty last season for a similar scruffy foul last year. It's one where the players all go mental because the defender won the ball

No, I don't think it was a penalty. The initial challenge won the ball fairly, but there was subsequent contact which i thought was incidental to the challenge. For the Newcastle goal, it was a challenge for the ball, possibly free-kick but nothing more.

Huh.

On initial viewing I didn't see an issue with the coming together for the Newcastle goal. But there's an angle that shows he moves his elbow into his face quite deliberately. But, it was an angle that the assistant was never going to see, so it would have to had been either VAR or from the referee.

Penalty is one I'd go either way on really. :)

Huh.

On initial viewing I didn't see an issue with the coming together for the Newcastle goal. But there's an angle that shows he moves his elbow into his face quite deliberately. But, it was an angle that the assistant was never going to see, so it would have to had been either VAR or from the referee.

Penalty is one I'd go either way on really. :)
Yedlin RP for the elbow
Tierney has had worse games on Tyneside; numerous

Alonso kicked the defenders leg (while it was still in contact with the ball) and that’s what caused his loss of balance.....so no penalty.

But not surprised you’re supporting the incorrect decision of an elite level referee......have you ever not done so? Genuinely can’t remember an occasion when you have?

Alonso kicked the defenders leg (while it was still in contact with the ball) and that’s what caused his loss of balance.....so no penalty.

But not surprised you’re supporting the incorrect decision of an elite level referee......have you ever not done so? Genuinely can’t remember an occasion when you have?
Have you really seen this?

Alonso is tripped by the trailing leg of the defender - the leg that comes from behind Alonso and makes contact with the back of his ankle! Is he some form of contortionist it has he developed the ability to defy the laws of biology?

No, thought not so give it a rest.

Come on Padders, no need for the personal comment...

Has anyone got a link for either incident?

Have you really seen this?

Alonso is tripped by the trailing leg of the defender - the leg that comes from behind Alonso and makes contact with the back of his ankle! Is he some form of contortionist it has he developed the ability to defy the laws of biology?

Before the trailing leg gets involved Alonso has already kicked the outstretched leg of the defender and has lost balance.

Watch it again.

Plenty of times. And on this one Dermot Gallagher has already said that the penalty was correct, as indeed did Graeme Souness who is well known for criticising referees and their decisions.

Remember, and I know that this may come as difficult to you, you aren't always correct with your views.

Plenty of times. And on this one Dermot Gallagher has already said that the penalty was correct, as indeed did Graeme Souness who is well known for criticising referees and their decisions.

Remember, and I know that this may come as difficult to you, you aren't always correct with your views.

Oh well, if Dermot and Graeme have said it’s correct.......do me a favour.

If you judge your accuracy by what those 2 think then it just proves everything I already suspected......

Thanks for the link. Yep, looks like a penalty to me.
He got the ball - but he had to go through the back of the opponent to do so. That 'going through the back' occurred after the touch on the ball, but it was still an intrinsic part of the tackle.
He could easily have made this tackle coming in properly, but the technique was all wrong. Had he kept the legs more to the side of the opponent, then there may have been more incidental contact. As this one stands, it was a bit risky - not only has he gone through the back of the opponent, but he's tangled up the opponent's legs underneath his own.

Now, that was more of an outcome of falling over each other than the tackle recklessly trapping his leg underneath, but it highlights just how clumsy this tackle was.

I'm okay with it being careless only, and given he had 3 defenders right in front I don't even think we need a card for a tactical foul.
Come on Padders, no need for the personal comment...
Par for the course unfortunately.

When healthy discussion is expunged from the forum, careful not to breach the rules you police
no need for the personal comment
This seems to be an increasingly common post on the site. I think we need to get a grip, because the exchanges on here are tame

I don't see how anyone can boldly claim whether this was a penalty or not. It was a mess of a challenge and very difficult to call either way. As a Mag, I'm just glad that it didn't decide the outcome of the game
I realize we have to appear bang on with our decisions in the middle, but it's not a weakness to show some uncertainty among colleagues

Oh well, if Dermot and Graeme have said it’s correct.......do me a favour.

If you judge your accuracy by what those 2 think then it just proves everything I already suspected......

And several people on here, and other referees. But no of course, because you don't agree all of them must be wrong. Not sure why you have a problem personally with me, other than of course that I banned you a few times on the previous forum …. :)

You need to get your facts right anyway. You say that you've never seen me criticise the decision of an elite level referee, yet I did that on post two of this thread as I said that they got the Newcastle goal wrong.

Chaps, getting quite bored of all this nonsense now. I’ve been been at work since 10pm Saturday night and still here now so frankly I’m not in the mood. Quite simply, pack it in, or you’ll be having a holiday from posting.
We’ve tried the friendly warning, I’m now calling the captain in.

Chaps, getting quite bored of all this nonsense now. I’ve been been at work since 10pm Saturday night and still here now so frankly I’m not in the mood. Quite simply, pack it in, or you’ll be having a holiday from posting.
Eh... I think you need to consult the Working Time Directive!

Back