A&H

Throwing a ball at a player from the throw in

RefereeAldo

Apologies if this has been covered before but looking for some advice please.
In a recent game an attacking player quickly took a throw in by throwing it at the back of the defender in what I felt was an aggressive manner (the two players had been niggling each other all game).
I booked the player and gave a free kick to the defender.
I'm reflecting on the decision and am mindful of the old Dean Saunders video online where he throws it against a defender and scores.
Am I right in thinking the player can do it as long as it's not in an aggressive manner or reckless???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm only L7 and am keen to learn.

The Referee Store
If you feel it was thrown in a careless or reckless manner or used excessive force then you were correct to call an infringement. If it wasn't any of those three things than play on.

Of course we can only tell you the text of the law and not if the decision correct since we weren't there.

As above..

Saunders you could see clearly did it to score a goal.

You have to make the judgment yourself in the situation..

Where on the body it hit him?
Where on the pitch it happened?
Did the thrower latch straight onto the ball to convince you it was purely a footballing move & not an act of petulance?
What was his response as you booked him?

Many factors to take into account the fact you said it was aggressive & they’d had needle between them already gives you a pretty strong case for what you gave tbh.

Correct but not this one:

If you thought it was reckless, is there any response that could change your mind to reverse the yellow and the restart?

No I didn’t mean in terms of changing your mind of course not.

I meant for his own satisfaction now he sits at home pondering the caution, if the player took the caution with no fuss or did the player say anything that has made him think twice now the dust has settled.

Am I right in thinking the player can do it as long as it's not in an aggressive manner or reckless?
Well, you're almost right. The exact wording of the law is:
If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, intentionally throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a careless nor a reckless manner nor using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue.

If the player is guilty of an offense by throwing the ball, then surely that comes under violent conduct. To me, it's either a red or nothing.

If the player is guilty of an offense by throwing the ball, then surely that comes under violent conduct. To me, it's either a red or nothing.
Fine sentiments Ryan but how do you judge a force to be excessive? That’s very very subjective! The Saunders one was thrown with a force, it’s a very poorly worded statement.

Explain yourself. Striking isn't automatically a red card offence - it can be DFK only.

I don't agree. Look at the wording in the LOTG for what constitutes VC. It mentions "excessive force" but also says "or brutality" Violent conduct is exactly that. Striking somebody when not challenging for the ball, whether excessive or not, is not part of the game and (IMO) can only be considered as "brutality". It's therefore a red unless you as a referee deem it to be an accidental occurrence.

We had this the other day. A head butt, is still a red. A motioning of the head used to be a red but its been downgraded to a yellow,(aggression) the key being brutality.
The motion was head butting, plain and simple, no soft soaping yellow, if that’s the case it’s a fkin joke!

I cant say for anywhere other than Scotland but I believe it changed due to an off the field court action.
"rubbing head" into someone is now aggressive , but rest assured, an actual heat butt is still a red.
Can you be a VAR for tonight’s roller coaster. This lot haven’t got a scooby doo!

Can you be a VAR for tonight’s roller coaster. This lot haven’t got a scooby doo![/QUOTE

For what seen so far, I doubt England need to worry about going down to 10, their behaviour has been exemplary, many teams would have lost the head v Columbia but no, England kept calm and got just reward.

Yes you can consider it VC but its not a 'surely' case. If VC then its red. If not VC then it can also just be careless or reckless striking. Here is what the laws have to say about it.

1531315118863.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
I don't agree. Look at the wording in the LOTG for what constitutes VC. It mentions "excessive force" but also says "or brutality" Violent conduct is exactly that. Striking somebody when not challenging for the ball, whether excessive or not, is not part of the game and (IMO) can only be considered as "brutality". It's therefore a red unless you as a referee deem it to be an accidental occurrence.
You can agree or not. Fortunately facts don't care if you agree with them. Read Law 12. Striking is clearly CRUEF. Striking isn't inherently done when not challenging for the ball.

Even FIFA have always held the position that throwing the ball into an opponent might be fine, it might be a yellow, or it might be red. Not sure what the argument is about here.

I know times change, but the wording for vc used to be, strikes or attempts to strike
Yeah, and once upon a time a ball needed to roll its circumference at a free kick.

Back