A&H

Throw ins

SM

The avuncular one
I know this was discussed on here a while ago, but I had a debate with one of my assistants on the weekend about throw ins.

I had a gent who had both feet planted correctly on/behind the line, facing field of play, taking it from the point the ball had left the pitch, both hands on the ball, delivering if from behind and over his head. However, he was releasing it just in front of his head.

I tired to explain that the LOTG stipulate how the ball is delivered, not when it is released. He was adamant that the ball had to be released above the head. (this was in the dressing room away from prying ears I might add). Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I know this was discussed on here a while ago, but I had a debate with one of my assistants on the weekend about throw ins.

I had a gent who had both feet planted correctly on/behind the line, facing field of play, taking it from the point the ball had left the pitch, both hands on the ball, delivering if from behind and over his head. However, he was releasing it just in front of his head.

I tired to explain that the LOTG stipulate how the ball is delivered, not when it is released. He was adamant that the ball had to be released above the head. (this was in the dressing room away from prying ears I might add). Thoughts?
Just a method for getting the ball into play, crack on...

There's nothing in the Laws about where the release is.

That's why a "spike" is perfectly legal (unless you're in the US of course), as is a flip throw, etc, etc etc.

That was one of my first ever threads on here. This "foul throw" business is a real pet hate of mine.
You're absolutely right. There is nothing in the LOTG which stipulates at what point during the throw the ball has to be released. Many members on here reckon it's a foul throw just because it looks ugly but it's something that referees have been getting wrong and will continue to do so for years.

And the real problem is that because so many referees DO penalise ugly throws, players completely expect it and will quickly get frustrated if you refuse to give 'obvious' foul throws :cry:

Reactions: Kes
Absolutely agree with the get on with it sentiment.

That said, we've have 3 foul throws in FL games I've been involved in this season, each of them were absolutely god awful excuses of an attempt at a throw in!

And the real problem is that because so many referees DO penalise ugly throws, players completely expect it and will quickly get frustrated if you refuse to give 'obvious' foul throws :cry:

I take great pleasure in educating these people that actually, the rest of the football world is wrong and I'm right. ;) :D

Just watch out that if the player does 'spike it', that they are not the first player to touch it afterwards ;)

The problem is that youngsters aren't really taught to throw anymore. I can remember spending time during training sessions being taught how to take a throw in, hence why now I can launch a ball like Rory Delap!

He was adamant that the ball had to be released above the head. Thoughts?
It's very simple - you were right, he was wrong.
That was one of my first ever threads on here. This "foul throw" business is a real pet hate of mine.
You're absolutely right. There is nothing in the LOTG which stipulates at what point during the throw the ball has to be released. Many members on here reckon it's a foul throw just because it looks ugly but it's something that referees have been getting wrong and will continue to do so for years.
I absolutely agree. There's an old saying related to throw-ins that I quite like - "Just because it looks ugly, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Veering tangenitally again at what point does a 'spike' become a drop rather than a throw....?

Back