A&H

Throw in - spinning the ball

The Referee Store
a disability that affects the amount of force they can use in particular arm.
That would mean 99% of the population who are either left or right handed are disabled :)
FFS it's a means of getting the ball back in play........unless there's an identifiable advantage.....play on...stop sweating the small stuff!
ERM... I think there is an identifiable advantage in the case of the OP.... Looooong throw :)

Reff'ing or teaching spin is 4 decades outdated at least and not supported in the LOTG. Thank goodness this went away LONG ago. It was ridiculous and nit-picky. Just get the ball in play. It is very simple now and rightly so. Simple - face field, two feet on ground behind or touching line, behind and over head. SPIN MEANS NOTHING. Wish I had the old LOTG or interpretations from back in the 80's but I was a teen then and not the student of the game I am now. Maybe one of our resident archivists on here?

Reff'ing or teaching spin is 4 decades outdated at least and not supported in the LOTG. Thank goodness this went away LONG ago. It was ridiculous and nit-picky. Just get the ball in play. It is very simple now and rightly so. Simple - face field, two feet on ground behind or touching line, behind and over head. SPIN MEANS NOTHING. Wish I had the old LOTG or interpretations from back in the 80's but I was a teen then and not the student of the game I am now. Maybe one of our resident archivists on here?
@Peter Grove is our man... Anything on this particular subject??

Also thanks for the reassurances all. They do make you wonder sometimes though...

That would mean 99% of the population who are either left or right handed are disabled :)

ERM... I think there is an identifiable advantage in the case of the OP.... Looooong throw :)
ERM using the proper technique........

only one team manager over those I have had the misfortune to ref - have said to me they practice the throw... most squander the possession! - when will coaches learn a throw in is a free pass!!

I have a 1970s referee guide called Fair or Foul published in the US that has a section on differentiating between sideways spin and forward spin in determining if a throw was legally done.

only one team manager over those I have had the misfortune to ref - have said to me they practice the throw... most squander the possession! - when will coaches learn a throw in is a free pass!!
This.

I was just watching a field full of teams training from a great local youth team. We have some great you set ups, award winners, nearby. The 8-12 year olds I can forgive, but the 14-16 year olds practicing 3-5 times a week - do all the coaching manuals really have nothing under throw ins - wtf?

The Laws of the Game have never addressed the issue of spin. In the very early days, there was no mention of the player having to use both hands - that requirement was introduced in 1883.

From that point on, it was simply stated that the ball had to be thrown in either using both hands or with both hands. There is no instruction or interpretation I have ever seen, saying that a ball that is thrown in with spin is illegal and I personally am not aware of that ever being taught (which doesn't mean it wasn't, of course).

In fact the only thing I actually have evidence of, which comes even close to this issue was relatively recently in 2016, when the IFAB included in the 'Details of all Law changes' that:

... the ‘one handed’ foul throw (ball thrown with one hand and guided with the other) is not permitted."

As far as I'm concerned, the referee should concentrate on the throwing motion and so long as it is legal, whether the ball spins or not is immaterial - unless it somehow convinces the referee that the ball was thrown illegally (though I don't think it would usually, necessarily indicate that).

Last edited:
When? The 70s? Under older language of the Laws, the idea of equal force was more present (I don't recall the exact language am too lazy to look it up), and excessive sideways spin was taught as infraction.
In not aware of anything to that effect. For many, many decades (around 6 as far as I can tell) up till 1997, the wording remained unchanged and went as follows:
The thrower shall use both hands and shall deliver the ball from behind and over his head.
I believe some interpreted that to mean that equal force should be used but it certainly wasn't explicit. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have never come across any teaching regarding spin (excessive or otherwise) though it sounds as if that may have been taught in the US.

Back