A&H

Throw in - opposition position

lesbobly

Post #2 - gentle is still nice, thank you :)

Position of other players at throw in

At a recent discussion I heard a senior referee say that there is NO distance that an opposition players needs to stand at Throw In (LOTG 2m?); his explanation was “if the throwing player is being obstructed then he just stands further back”

Unless I completely misheard the original discussion, then surely that is wrong … or have I misread what appears to be clear text in Law 15

The Referee Store
Post #2 - gentle is still nice, thank you :)

Position of other players at throw in

At a recent discussion I heard a senior referee say that there is NO distance that an opposition players needs to stand at Throw In (LOTG 2m?); his explanation was “if the throwing player is being obstructed then he just stands further back”

Unless I completely misheard the original discussion, then surely that is wrong … or have I misread what appears to be clear text in Law 15
This "senior referee" is testiculating.
😉

Apart from the fact I had to look up “testiculating”, that’s cleared that up 😂😂😂👍
Don't necessarily believe everything a 'senior referee' spouts
'Senior' is a relative term... besides, many are clueless when it comes to Law

Last edited:
2m from the thrower being defined is a relatively recent law change (within the last 10 years I would guess), so I think this is simply down to an experienced referee failing to keep up with law changes.

As I recall the Law chnage, it wasn't a new concept but was new to put a specific distance on what previously could simply be a USB caution for unreasonably interfering with a throw-in. (Part of the general progression from referee as arbiter of what is reasonable to referee as implementer of specific directives that we have seen in so many areas over the past few decades.)

Back