A&H

Throw in from too close to your own goal

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
Interested in others' opinions as to when / if / how you would stop the game for a throw incorrectly taken from too near your own goal rather than the oppositions?

By law this seems no different to trying to steal yards up the pitch but just doesn't feel the same. That said, this is sometimes done to try to gain an advantage, so there's a case for reversing the throw. What do people think?

The Referee Store
Throw has to be taken from the point the ball went out of play. It should be a foul throw, they tend to result in a retake.

Agree with Haywain here - technically speaking the throw is illegal and should be reversed, but rarely is. Preventative communication is key here really, and if this happened in a game in which I was assessing, I would be mentioning that.

I've only penalised once for this, that was because it was taken about 30 yards back from where the ball went out of play.

If a player seems unsure as to the position of a throw in I'll shout "level with me player" as before the throw I always stand level with where the ball went out before moving into position

Yeah, normally if a player is in the wrong place I'll tell them where it should be, but it was so far away and I didn't realise that they were actually taking it until it had been taken so I had no choice but to penalise.

When you penalise for a throw being taken in the wrong place, the throw in to the other team is taken where the foul throw was taken rather than where it should have been taken (as this is where the offence is), right??

When you penalise for a throw being taken in the wrong place, the throw in to the other team is taken where the foul throw was taken rather than where it should have been taken (as this is where the offence is), right??
As far as I know (and what I do, on the rare occasion I turn it round) is where it should have been

I have actually penalised both. Player taking the Mick with his throw. Loud shouts from me to take it level with me. Player ignores me and throws. I blow whistle and penalise the throw. Opposition player tries to take it from where the first throw should have been taken. Loud shouts from me to take it from where the last offence was, level with me. Player ignored me, so I blow for another foul throw. Original team then slow it down and ask me where to take it from.

sounds like you got that second one wrong if i've read it right, Mick - opposition player was correct to take the throw in from where the first one should have been taken

the offence occured when the ball wasn't in play so go with the original restart

As far as I know (and what I do, on the rare occasion I turn it round) is where it should have been

That is certainly correct; no foul has properly occurred because the ball was not in play so the restart must be taken from where the ball went out of play.

sounds like you got that second one wrong if i've read it right, Mick - opposition player was correct to take the throw in from where the first one should have been taken

the offence occured when the ball wasn't in play so go with the original restart
Ooooh. Interesting one. No foul-throw is committed until the ball enters play, otherwise it wouldn't be a "foul". A player can walk where he likes and lift up as many feet as he wants, but no offence is committed until the ball enters play. At that point the throw is foul. If that is the case, surely any re-start would take place where the last offence occurred? Which, is pretty much what Dan said.

'Law 15 - at the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower delivers the ball from the point where it left the field of play'

and then, (my words in brackets)

'For any other infringement of this law (which includes the above) the throw-in is taken by a player of the opposing team'

nothing about ball entering play

Back