A&H

Threshold for OFFINABUS

Ex-player

Does the threshold for OFFINABUS change depending on the level off football?

For instance would the criteria for a red card (OFFINABUS) in a level 7 game be the same in a Sunday morning pub league?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
We’ll, since at the WC we see refs scream F you in the face of refs without being sent off, I’d have to say it does have some variance . . .

But at the end of the day, the criteria in any game is what the ref of the day finds to be offenside, 8 sultan, or abusive.

the more personal it is, thee more likely to cross the threshold. The more public, the more likely it is to cross the threshold.

different refs have different tolerances

I agree. My associations have a few choice words they're tired of and want the RC produced.

If we had simply enforced some decorum it wouldn't have needed to become required.

Personal, public, provocative is my gauge.

Anything aimed at me rings the bell

am a tough battered patron, water off ducks back

make it at me, and,the lotg dictate you have an issue

There's a few angles to answer this.

First angle is generally anything that starts with "you" is likely to meet the threshold. Consider the difference between "That's f*cking sh*t ref" Vs "You're "f*cking sh*t ref"

Another one is that anything that contains either of the two C words (cheat being the less obvious one of the two) ticks the boxes.

However, and here's the caveat, as you go up the levels, the game (rightly or wrongly) becomes more about event management. With paying spectators you have to think about how you can sell sending a player off to a potentially large crowd for something that has been said quietly in passing. If it's public, then you can quite easily sell it. A player giving you the "you're sh*t" comment quietly, might just as easily find the referee giving him some back about his own performance as getting a red card!

Take it as a complement. It means you were the shining light on the game.

Unfortunately it was said as "how was I offside you f***ing lamppost?" .. which earned him a red. Dissent crept into the game during the 2nd half, yellows didn't have the desired effect so the context of it cemented the red decision for me.

Unfortunately it was said as "how was I offside you f***ing lamppost?" .. which earned him a red. Dissent crept into the game during the 2nd half, yellows didn't have the desired effect so the context of it cemented the red decision for me.

just throwing this out there, if it was just, , how was i offside you lampost"

what next?

just throwing this out there, if it was just, , how was i offside you lampost"

what next?
As far as I'm concerned, the law only requires that something be offensive, insulting or abusive. What if I had confidence issues concerning my height and he hit a nerve by saying that? I don't actually, I'm only about 6 ft, but what if I did? I suppose my point is what we interpret as insulting can vary by a wide degree and we need only that box ticked to be OK in law so a red card would be justified considering it was personal.

Would I have given a red? I honestly can't tell you, I go on gut feel as the words land on my ears. In that game maybe I would have. The yellows weren't working, it needed a red.

As far as I'm concerned, the law only requires that something be offensive, insulting or abusive. What if I had confidence issues concerning my height and he hit a nerve by saying that? I don't actually, I'm only about 6 ft, but what if I did? I suppose my point is what we interpret as insulting can vary by a wide degree and we need only that box ticked to be OK in law so a red card would be justified considering it was personal.

Would I have given a red? I honestly can't tell you, I go on gut feel as the words land on my ears. In that game maybe I would have. The yellows weren't working, it needed a red.

I agree without the f word, its entirely down to the referee on the day, the personality of referee, the tolerance, and, the tempo and management of the game itself

I agree without the f word, its entirely down to the referee on the day, the personality of referee, the tolerance, and, the tempo and management of the game itself
Exactly, put it this way, if they'd been angels and were playing football up until say the 80th minute and one person said that, I don't see myself having given a red. Though if a referee told me that was said to them in a quiet game and they gave a red, I couldn't say they reacted incorrectly in law.

Exactly, put it this way, if they'd been angels and were playing football up until say the 80th minute and one person said that, I don't see myself having given a red. Though if a referee told me that was said to them in a quiet game and they gave a red, I couldn't say they reacted incorrectly in law.
Simple thing is, that by doing it, the player is handing control to the referee. They can have 0 complaints if the referee decides to bin them

I had a player call me a slot badger once. that’ll take people to have watched the show Brasseye in the 90’s to understand but it made me laugh a lot, which in turn actually made it very difficult for me to send him off, but thankfully it wasn’t a heated game so I managed to get away with just a warning after.

In a recent game involving a police side, an opposition player shouted "f*@k off you f*@cking pig" and the whole ground heard it. Red card issued at which point the player from police said "thanks although factually correct"

Back