A&H

Three Questions

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
(I had a busy morning!)

1. Protection for the goalkeeper - how far do you go? I had four separate occasions today in which a goalkeeper and a player were competing for a ball, and each time I assessed that the keeper had control of the football with both hands before the outfield player arrived, but of course the other team disagreed - so much that I had two players screaming at me at the top of their voices. They quietened down a bit after one of them got a sin bin.

2. Language. I was quite pleased in the second half after #8 expressed his displeasure at me, I got him and the captain in together, calmly explained the decision, and asked the player in question to calm down, and it worked! Definitely one to repeat. Later on as the away side made a bit of a comeback and the game got chippier, #10 called me a ***** underneath his breath - I doubt anyone else heard it. Should he have taken a short sit-down? It would certainly have been correct in law, potentially even OFFINABUS, but the game wouldn't have expected it. Away bench were chirping throughout the second half, and I was waiting for a restart to allow me to show away manager a card when a big tackle occurred requiring treatment for both sides, during that treatment away coach entered the pitch without permission to shout at someone for some reason, and that was an easy yellow. The remarks themselves don't bother me, but their behaviour was influencing their players on the pitch and making everyone's lives harder.

Later on I also heard someone from the bench calling me a nonce, but was unable to positively identify them - again, a question about what the game expects versus the law book. If it had been directed to me by a player on the pitch I'd have had no issue removing them from play.

3. Handball, and the natural position - this came up in the Luton game a few weeks ago, when a player making a challenge used their hand as a counterbalance. On two occasions, similar situations occurred in the penalty area today, and both times I waved it away as the players' movement, rather than a deliberate action or expanding their silhouette, had caused the contact between ball and hand. At the time I was very sure, as in both cases it was at very short distance, but re-reading the Law and guidance I'm less sure now.

Later on, I had a player standing too close to the restart on a free-kick taken quickly, who clearly and obviously attempted a hand-ball offence. I saw a contact so gave the yellow for a deliberate hand ball offence, but is there still a sanction for attempting to hand-ball?

For those wondering, 3-3 in the end, really good game of football - both captains were very helpful, and I shall aim going forward to make more use of captains in the future. I'm done for the month now as I'm focusing on a martial arts exam at the end of october, but lots to chew over from today!

The Referee Store
Lost what the three questions were tbh, but:

1. A foul is a foul. If the GK is in control of the ball, then that’s it. After the second, may be reminding players of what’s expected.

3. That “handball” yellow at the end is for Failing To Respect the Required Distance, yeah?

Are you proactive in killing dissent or challenges to your authority from the very first opportunity? Seems a theme that a game might escape away from you like a slinky. Don’t want that to come across harsh with that, but sometimes other people recognise patterns that the individual is unaware of.

Are you proactive in killing dissent or challenges to your authority from the very first opportunity? Seems a theme that a game might escape away from you like a slinky. Don’t want that to come across harsh with that, but sometimes other people recognise patterns that the individual is unaware of.
As I said, first half I was proactive and the game benefitted - I can't quite pin down where things got out of hand but I might be that I relaxed too much second half and tolerated too much.

I think there are quite a few things here for you to improve. It’s brilliant that you can analyze like this. Overall, you should go back to the book.

1. Read the LotG: “any part of the arms or hands.” The GK does not need 2 hands on the ball before it’s a foul. According to the LotG a fingertip is enough. So, yes, you could go further in protecting the GK according to the LotG!

2. #8 sounds like a YC (or sin bin). #10 sounds like a RC. Based on the LotG “Nonce” is a RC for the head coach if he/she will not give you a name. IMHO special report as well. You will grow as a referee when you stop avoiding these cards.

3. No offence for attempting to hand ball.

Handball is really hard for all of us. The law is not well written and it is not applied consistently on TV. All you can do is use the LotG, study examples and “sell” your decision. Easiest is to say “natural position” and move on. At least this seems to get the idea across to players.

“It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.”

Later on I also heard someone from the bench calling me a nonce, but was unable to positively identify them - again, a question about what the game expects versus the law book.

Issue the sanction to the senior coach if nobody will identify themselves or the guilty party. This has been the law for two years; football should expect this by now.

Back