A&H

Thoughts on friends running the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I echo Ross's comment, although I think global warming has kicked in and the ice is starting to crack. Play nicely, or else.

If the rules say a CAR must be provided, a CAR must be provided, that doesn't matter whether it is under 9, under 14, or indeed an over 40s veterans league. I know from when I ran an adult club I would have absolutely snapped the hands off of ANYONE who was willing to run the line, as it would have saved me from having to coerce subs to reluctantly do it, or do it myself when we had no subs. Youth football may well be different as there are usually lots of parents there who may well actually want to run the line, but there is no harm in asking.

Reactions: one
At the best of times we are short of referees or willing volunteers do the line at grassroots. Why anyone would want to turn down those who volunteer to do the job beats me. Find a way to make it work without breaking any rules.

And why would anyone ask a qualified referee to give up puzzles me when we are desperate to get more people to get involved in the profession. If you find something they are not doing right, train and educate. Asking them to resign is not the solution. There is room for all levels of ability in this job. Let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture here.

i stand by that.
Then you're a ****.

Suggesting a new referee should give up because he took the time to find an online forum, sign up and ask a genuine, not covered by the laws question is disgraceful behaviour. And I'm genuinely a little shocked that two staff members of this forum have come on here and essentially told people off for arguing with you when your initial comments (and continuing defence of them!) is so incredibly out of line.

Then you're a ****.

Mince your words why don't you mate ;)

@Ciley Myrus think back to when you started.. imagine fellow referees giving you that sort of feedback, you wouldn't have been particularly pleased to put it mildly... New referees deserve as much respect as those at the top. How about we show them this?

OP - please don't listen to the nasty man, the rest of us are nice and don't want you to quit! :p

If you pass your driving test yet crash five times in the first week,maybe you have to think either, driving aint your thing, or you need a good long think before going back on the road
If you are saying you cannot referee an u11 gamd by yourself then sorry no, I dont feel your are at this point suitable.
And yes I do realise the diff between wanting the help, and being duty bound to use it
I am able to make my point without personsl abuse. It would be good if other folk could, of indeed am sure they are mature enough to ignore comments which they dont agree with.
Having a diff opinion is one thing. Resorting to whatever xxxx is, is another.

If you pass your driving test yet crash five times in the first week,maybe you have to think either, driving aint your thing, or you need a good long think before going back on the road
If you are saying you cannot referee an u11 gamd by yourself then sorry no, I dont feel your are at this point suitable.
And yes I do realise the diff between wanting the help, and being duty bound to use it
I am able to make my point without personsl abuse. It would be good if other folk could, of indeed am sure they are mature enough to ignore comments which they dont agree with.
Having a diff opinion is one thing. Resorting to whatever xxxx is, is another.
**** begins with a c, I'll let you work the rest out. And I'm not going to apologise for using bad language in an otherwise reasonable post, where I consider most of your posts on this thread to contain much more unpleasant content, regardless of the language used. If you think your clever ability to say horrible things to a new referee and cleverly veil them in long winded bullshit and complicated multiple posts somehow makes the content more palatable, I'm not going to agree with you.

I'm dangerously close to repeating myself here, but this is a referee support forum. A new referee who's asking a sensible question should absolutely NOT be told to give up the whistle. And especially when that "suggestion" was based on you repeatedly and deliberately misunderstanding his question and refusing to listen to anyone who told you that was the case!

@GraemeS this is off topic although can you fix your signature.. not sure how you can hand out 27 cards in 6 games (assuming card-free matches is 7 - 1). Half a caution?

@boulderdomb 27/6 = 4.5. He could well have given out a different number of cards in different games? I may have misunderstood what you've said because it doesn't make much sense to me!:D

Yip close it, some folk dont like other peoples opinions, which renders the question, why do they visit an online forum where other people share other views
Anyone they disagree with is a xxxx
Great, mature and the sensible response.

This thread has got a bit out of hand. What I believe people are trying to say is asking you to be a bit more constructive with your wording rather than being a bit harsh to a new ref. When I first started I needed a CAR at U11 - it could still come in handy now for a second opinion now! Without wanting to sound arrogant (because I 100% am not) since then I've reached Level 5 at my earliest opportunity and only withdrew from 5-4 through injury... Is refereeing not for me as well?

I made my point and explained reasons why
Without resorting to name calling
Harsh, maybe. My opinion on the matter, yes
If you dont like it, dont read it

@GraemeS this is off topic although can you fix your signature.. not sure how you can hand out 27 cards in 6 games (assuming card-free matches is 7 - 1). Half a caution?
One match with 10 yellows (mad one!), leaves 17 cards in 5 games, about 3 a match? Although I think I might have missed adding one to my match total now you mention it, so that's 17 in 6, which I think is about right.

But you just told me if don't like it don't read it. I would love to do that. Only if you tell how.

This "debate" has nothing to do with the OP, it seems cat and mouse between me and you, i.e attention seeking and serving no purpose
You can decide what you read and what you don't. I don't have any influence over your reading habits.

It's a simple assertion to say that what you wrote makes no logical sense.
I have to read your opinion to see if I like it or not. And if I don't like it.... It's too late. I have already read it.
Never mind.

Bored now! Those that wish to continue arguing may I suggest finding a playground and doing it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back