A&H

Thoughts on friends running the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino Ref

Before I start this I'll say I'm not 100% sure this is the right place to post this but let's get to it.
I'm scheduled to referee a u11 match this Sunday. This will be only my 6th game and my friends have asked if they could do the line. I trust them as to not do anything stupid or biased or anything but would they be allowed. I would ask the home managers opinion and if he allowed them I would tell the away manager before the game so he didn't complain. Neither of them are qualified ref's but usually parents just do it. The last match I played one of the linesmen disappeared mid match and no one was eager to do it. Also would I have to email the league to notify them? Or should I just tell my friends no?

The Referee Store
As appealing as it may be, I would advice against it. Any wrong decision or seemingly wrong decision would be blamed on you and you will be held accountable for using this "team" of assistants. On a friendly, maybe a totally different discussion but during a league match I wouldn't go for it.

Here is how you can kill two birds with one stone.
Take your friends to the game. Introduce one to each team manger. Tell the manager there are no ARs appointed. This person is willing to do it if you appoint them to. I trust him/her.
The chances of them not getting the gig is very slim. That way you have two friends appointed by the teams for your ARs as required by your CFA rules.

It justs baffles the ease with some of our colleagues here are ready to bellittle and harshly attack some of their fellow colleagues. I'm sorry but who made you the judge in ruling whether they are fit to be refereeing or not? So much for supporting one another! And let me remind you that oddly enough you didn't start off your career refereeing as a top referee.
This is not harsh reality or any other tush about harsh criticism, this in my view is nothing less of the same abuse and disrespect wensometimes face on the field of play.... :wall::wall::wall::mad:
Ok rant over!!!

What purpose would a friend holding a flag at a U11 serve?
If you cant keep up with play enough to see ball in and out of play at an U11 game then I stand by my comments, come back when your fitness level has improved because even at that age, if a team are paying money for your services, they deserve someone who can keep up with play
Offside, same, you be lucky if any of the players can kick a ball more than 30 yards when its moving, nevermind from a dead ball
If you scared you cant judge offside yourself in a U11 match then again, I accept saying "resign" is harsh, but, come back when you are more confident in your own ability
Its U11. There is, or should be, no reason why you be more than 12 yards away from the ball at any given time and no reason why you cant get a wide angle to detect offsides. Having "friends" on the line will just hinder your development, go do what you qualified to do and referee on your own merits.

Early last season I was mentoring a mid-age new referee for his second game ever. I think it was an U12s game. He had no issue with fitness as he was a player in the O35 top division. He brought his 15yo and 12yo sons to the game and asked me if it’s ok for his sons to do the line for him. Our rules allow it so I said absolutely. Go for it.

After the game I asked the boys what they thought. They said they loved it. By chance we were running an entry level course the following weekend. I told the 15yo why not do the course and get paid for it. He did and finished the season as our best rookie AR of the year.

If that's the done thing where you are that's fine
Its not the done thing where I am, and I can only base my thoughts and feelings on what I know
Sounds to me like the ideal chance for a referee to referee on his own merits was turned into a circus, and, would the 12 and 15 y/o not need to be disclosure checked to be involved in the game? Sorry if that's been covered before but its a genuine question.

The idea of turning up to referee an U11s game with your own assistants is unusual. I've no doubt your intentions are genuine but you do run the risk of looking like a jumped up so and so especially if there's a contentious incident. Stick to the usual format and don't draw unwanted attention to yourself.

If that's the done thing where you are that's fine
Its not the done thing where I am, and I can only base my thoughts and feelings on what I know
Sounds to me like the ideal chance for a referee to referee on his own merits was turned into a circus, and, would the 12 and 15 y/o not need to be disclosure checked to be involved in the game? Sorry if that's been covered before but its a genuine question.
Turn into a circus? Was that a poor attempt at sarcasm or was it a genuine attempt at destructive criticism?

The answer to your question is No.

The referee did get many more chances to referee on his own merits. However I am not sure if we would have had any more chances as good as this to add this young and excellent AR (and a referee) to our ranks.

Last edited:
The concept of non disclosure checked people taking part in an organised official league game of football is alien to me, that's why I ask
Although please don't be to harsh on me, as the idea of this CAR thing is alien to me too
The idea that you would sit through the (12?) week course, revise, do your stuff, pass exam, then go let a 12yo help you through a U11 game of football startles me
but again, if that's how it is in your area, so be it.

The concept of non disclosure checked people taking part in an organised official league game of football is alien to me, that's why I ask
Although please don't be to harsh on me, as the idea of this CAR thing is alien to me too
The idea that you would sit through the (12?) week course, revise, do your stuff, pass exam, then go let a 12yo help you through a U11 game of football startles me
but again, if that's how it is in your area, so be it.
You're missing (deliberately ignoring?) the fact that the competition laws REQUIRE there to be a CAR.

The question you're trying to answer is "do I need a CAR for a U11 game?". The question the OP asked is "given I have to have a CAR for this match, is it acceptable to bring my own friends rather than have someone offered to me by the teams?". The fact you seem unable to tell the difference between those questions doesn't change the fact that the question that's actually been asked is a perfectly valid and sensible one that has nothing to do with the ability of the NEWLY QUALIFIED referee who asked the question.

In Suffolk we use CARs for all competitions. Clubs get fined if they don't provide them. This is from 9 aside upwards. As refs we can overrule CARs and probably all do during the games but our league rules dictate that we work with them Saying you should give up your badge because at U11 you need CARs is unfair. I do understand that in Scotland there is a different view on CARs and from what you have said they are not used but wether we like it or not we have to use them. We don't get a choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back