A&H

This one will divide opinion...

I remember being told when I started by a colleague that a player peeing publicly by the side of the pitch was a straight red offinabus (if memory serves).
Well, if he just stood there in the middle of the open park and flopped it out...

The Referee Store
Wow they must have a real abundance of refs to be looking to get rid of some for something like that.

I don't know any circumstances of the incidents concerned, there may be more to it than meets the eye.

Thought it may be worth mentioning on here. Perhaps wise to resist temptation should the need arise, you never know if an agrieved club may report you.

Just to drip feed the final piece of information from the tale - during the discussion at the RA meeting (chair of my RA being quite senior in referee circles within the county, so I do trust his statement as fact) 3 referees within Cheshire have apparently been suspended so far this season for the same thing.

Thoughts?
Just to be clear on this, are you saying that they were suspended:

1. For not cautioning the player(s)?
2. For not reporting the incident(s)?
3. For peeing in the bushes themselves?

I remember being told when I started by a colleague that a player peeing publicly by the side of the pitch was a straight red offinabus (if memory serves).
Well it's not specified in the Laws of the Game as such so unless there was some kind of mandatory instruction from your CFA then he might have just been voicing his opinion. Having said that, I do agree with HoldenMan that it would be much more likely to be offensive if it were done "publicly by the side of the pitch" than if the player were making at least some attempt to hide himself from public view - which to my mind would also depend on how far into the bushes he had gone before commencing micturition.

There is at least one ground I referee at that has no toilet facilities - I am often put on 3 games back to back at venue.
I rehydrate myself at half time and full time of each game. There is no way I can hold on till I get home.
I just find the most hidden away secluded place to go as much out of view as possible. I really do not see what alternative I have.

There is at least one ground I referee at that has no toilet facilities - I am often put on 3 games back to back at venue.
I rehydrate myself at half time and full time of each game. There is no way I can hold on till I get home.
I just find the most hidden away secluded place to go as much out of view as possible. I really do not see what alternative I have.
On most grounds at the moment you could probably find a 'puddle' big enough to swim in and discretely go about your business in there. Just like when you were a kid in the local swimming pool :)

On most grounds at the moment you could probably find a 'puddle' big enough to swim in and discretely go about your business in there. Just like when you were a kid in the local swimming pool :)

To be honest the weather as it is even if you make it to the ground on the day without it being called off the day before is pretty good going!

As a player, I pee in hedges quite often, I tend to drink too much water before a game. For me, I look about to see if there are kids around, if there is, I wouldn't dream of doing it. If the coast is clear and I've found somewhere discreet, I'd certainly un-wind it and release thy urine!

As a referee, I wouldn't do it regardless unless I was actually going to pee my pants!

If I got told by an assessor or someone similar that I "should have cautioned" a player for urinating in a hedge, so long as that player met my criteria (No kids around, discreet and he's not doing it in the vicinity of a toilet), I'd tell him he can keep his marks!

I wouldn't expect players within senior football to be urinating in hedges due to the fact they pull in crowds and family's are often hanging about. In grassroots and low-level leagues, some teams can barely get facilities with running water! Also, if you saw some of the toilets I've seen in the sheds down here in Pasty-land, you'd rather take your chances outside!

I once say the president of the local referees association urinating in the bushes at half time during a match!

Back