A&H

This Evening I Will Become One Of You

RunningRef

Level 7 Referee
(What have I got my self into?)

This evening I am doing my exam to become a level 9 referee. I will be starting in the local youth league to build up confidence and experience before going into open age either in the new year or next season depending on how things go.

Are there any tips anyone would give me starting this journey?
Are there any tips that are only relevant to youth? (eg. keeping cards in pocket etc.)

Last but not least if you could start again what would you do? (so hopefully I wont make the same/similar errors)

The Referee Store
Remember to start your watch when you blow your whistle to start your first game. :) I am sure nobody has ever failed to do that............

In terms of what I would do different, I would say nothing. We all make mistakes when we start, you learn from them, you talk to other referees about your games and gain the benefit of their experience, you become a better referee as a result. So don't worry about possibly making mistakes! One bit of advice; Join your local referee society/association. Usually a gold mine of support and specific advice.

Good luck mate.

One of us..... One of us....

thanks for that Supermonkey as it goes I have the form for my local RA filled out and ready for their next meeting 8th of Sept I Believe. I'm a member of a running club so know how much the support of like minded individuals can help you get through when the going gets tough.

Brilliant Supermonkey, second game I ever did open age friendly did not re-start my watch for the second half, realised about 10m minutes in, started it and guessed, stopped the watch a little later for a stoppage and.....you guessed it didn't re-start it again, I managed to wing it by starting my watch when I heard the shout of "Last 10 minutes boys" from the sideline, I have no idea how long I played in that second half. You live and learn!!

Make sure you get the right pitch, in one of my first games there were 2 U14's playing and I picked the wrong one ( I didn't confirm the teams) played about 2 minutes of the first half then got told I was on the wrong pitch so I had to run off to match actual game that I was appointed to, don't do that, it makes you look like a right tool :)

Don't start and stop your watch for every stoppage, only things like injuries and substitutions, and excessive goal celebrations. Can end up playing 50 mins for a 30 min half if you do that!!

I agree with what's been said, RA's are great places to go. Also, look confident and get in the right positions, players can't moan if you're in the prime position! And half of the battle it looking like you're 100% correct when giving a decision, it will stop a lot of abuse or dissent, so sell your decisions well and make sure you're in the right position, it will really reduce dissent and hopefully let you enjoy it more because players/spectators/coaches aren't on your back as much!

Finally, I wouldn't change anything. We all make mistakes, but you learn best from those mistakes!

Enjoy it and make sure you smile every game :D

In line with mikes wisdom:

When you have no idea touched the ball before it goes out of play, delay a second and watch the body language. If still no clue from that, give it to the defender in a loud voice with accompanying strong body language.

Get into the habit of taking up a position to the left of the goal keeper (as you look across the pitch, the keeper is on your right) at kicks from hand or goal kicks. Good practice for when you work with neutral assistants.

Always wear two watches, just in case!

A black note book in the back pocket can be invaluable for if things go sour and you need to make good notes of something you need to report later. 99% of games it is unused, but better to have it when you need it than not!

Anything you don't penalise, you encourage. Don't be afraid to set your tolerances early in games for pushes in the back or niggly fouls.

Finally, take a tape recorder and record yourself shouting "in the back ref" and "foul throw ref" over and over again. Then pop on some ear phones and listen to this recording for 90 minutes. Good preparation for your games! :D

I only forgot to restart my watch once. Fortunately I could see a church clock in the distance and knew what time I'd kicked off.

I'd suggest going to watch a ref do a youth game and see how they do things. It won't all be good but it'll give you an idea of what works and what to avoid.

starting the watch is key to refereeing apprently! so make sure you turn up with one, i once completlery forgot mine - thank christ for iphones ay! wasnt the greatest impression, but a couple of 'heavy night' jokes from the amangers and laughing a joking soon forgot about it!

ive never been card happy, at youth level i used to stick with (advise from an old friend) a yellow is a talking to, a red is a yellow - that kinda thing.

as SM said, i also like to set an example early on, lots of fouls for a pushes and anything slightly wrong, after about 15-20 minutes they kind of catch on that you wont let things go so easily - also if a match gets kind of heated i tend to blow up for everything and i wont allow quick free kicks - it tends to, for me anyway - take the egde of for a few seconds, the first 3/4 times youll be moaned at by the manager and players waiting to take the free kick but they'll soon stop like most things!

1 last thing, dont let free kicks be blasted up field when you are by the kick....i once a kepper (i was near him having a quiet word with a defender) who took a quick kick from an offisde and booted it up field....there was noway id get up to speed....so a simple blow it up, drag play back for the offisde and again and a sturn word to the kepper along the lines of 'do NOT take the kick when i am dealing with another incident, now, on my whistle this time please keep' recieved a phew moans at first but was followed by a couple of pats on the back after the game for having the ******** to stand my ground

good luck!

ohhhh...and try not to be me...i suffer from major nerves, i start to feel sick and faint before a game, week in, week out - once im on and the coin tss is done i sually settle, right up to the first decsion...nail the first call and im underway

Keeping in mind with the whole time keeping thing. Also remember to double check counting the number of players at kick off. My first ever game the away team was delayed in traffic. They turned up just before kick off so agreed with the other team to give them 15 minutes to settle, warm up etc. as they were u14. Even though come kick off their manager and players were fairly harassed. After 10 minutes their manager calls me over as they'd only put out 10 players. Totally threw me as thought I'd counted them. Chuckles all round and they sent someone else on. Looking back it should have been handled differently, but being my first game I was bricking it that I'd need to send someone off or something.

Now I make double sure at any restarts I count all the players. Often I'll have my note book out so it looks like I'm jotting down something so I don't look like I'm away with the fairies staring into thin air!

Keeping in mind with the whole time keeping thing. Also remember to double check counting the number of players at kick off. My first ever game the away team was delayed in traffic. They turned up just before kick off so agreed with the other team to give them 15 minutes to settle, warm up etc. as they were u14. Even though come kick off their manager and players were fairly harassed. After 10 minutes their manager calls me over as they'd only put out 10 players. Totally threw me as thought I'd counted them. Chuckles all round and they sent someone else on. Looking back it should have been handled differently, but being my first game I was bricking it that I'd need to send someone off or something.

Now I make double sure at any restarts I count all the players. Often I'll have my note book out so it looks like I'm jotting down something so I don't look like I'm away with the fairies staring into thin air!
You needn't worry about this, it's not your job to make sure there are 11 players on each team, it is your job to make sure that the number of players per team isn't over 11 or below 7, if you notice just tell them though.

I point to each player with whistle in hand and count out loud, then you find that if you miss someone them one of the players will let you know. Also proves to them that you can count all the way to 11...

Back