A&H

Thinking about going for promotion.

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
I've just finished my first season of refereeing and on the most part I've loved it. I'm only 15 so I won't be able to referee adult football until part way through next season but I think promotion is something I'd like to try for in the next few seasons. I'm expecting many people to tell me not to rush as I've got ages but I'd really like to progress through the system as I get bored quickly without a new challenge. Any tips or suggestions for promotion or starting in open age football as a youngster for the next few seasons?

The Referee Store
The FA are currently updating and revising the promotion criteria and "ladder", so I suggest you wait until that is announced before taking further action, apart from deciding which league(s) to consider once you are 16. Good luck.

Hey Tom, great that you've loved it and that you're ambitious to progress ... both very good things!

I'd advise getting in contact with relevant local grassroots adult leagues (Saturday and /or Sunday as you prefer) and advising them of your interest in joining their panel as soon as you turn 16. This will allow you to dip a toe in the water at the earliest opportunity. Prior to that I'd ensure you are in the middle on the highest possible age youth games .. but do bear in mind that the jump up from U14 to adult games is pretty significant.

Additionally, if you have a more senior local league (say a County League) then contacting them about working as an AR once you turn 16 would be a good shout. That would allow you to work with and learn from more experienced referees.

Regardless of how the FA criteria change, I'd advise parking thoughts of promotion until you have the upcoming half season of adult experience. That way you're more likely to hit the ground running and smash it in season 23/24 :)

I've seen some stuff about the promotion scheme changing so was planning to see what happens in that regard. I've been trying to get the oldest age groups where possible as I enjoy them more but I've started to realise that they're best for developing man management. I will also try to get some assistant games before the middle as I'm sure it'll be great to get a taste of adult football but I'll have to wait until January so I would assume I probably wouldn't be able to fit the 20 games in before the new season plus I think it would be a rush so I'll take it easy and gain as much experience as possible. And hopefully as you said smash it 23/24. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back