A&H

Think I missed a mandatory caution

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Think I missed a mandatory caution yesterday, pen awarded to the blue team as the bule player goes to place the ball on the penalty mark a grey player walks by and appers to deliberately scuff it. I walked over to the penalty mark and couldnt see anything so any damage was minor so decided against a caution but I am pretty sure this should have been a caution for the grey player (making unauthorised marks on the fop) and a subsequent red card however as i couldn't see anything felt a speaking to was appropriate. No real complaints so didn't want to make trouble for myself especially as i'd already cautioned other players for simulation and not respecting the required distance at a restart but it had me thinking on the way home.

The Referee Store
i think you're right, if it's brought to your attention by player complaints then there's little you can do

if you see this happen, whether it was effective or not is immaterial, it has to be a yellow

No NAR's, which considering it was a sunday league cup fixture wasn't a huge surprise. It was my 1st sunday fixture this season as i have been focussing on getting my fitness up ahead of re-joining the promotion scheme next year. Lots of action in a competitive game including a disallowed goal, 4 YC's and some apparent VC that occured out of my view so couldn't take action.

One of those games where players tell you that you've had a great game for 80 minutes until I didn't give them a penalty etc etc.. lol!

Be very careful about publicly warning players who have committed an offence that carries a mandatory caution, as you are saying that you have seen it but are not applying law correctly. It's like when someone kicks the ball away, you only really have three options ...

- ignore it
- caution
- have a very, very quiet word as you are walking past the offender

Be very careful about publicly warning players who have committed an offence that carries a mandatory caution, as you are saying that you have seen it but are not applying law correctly. It's like when someone kicks the ball away, you only really have three options ...

- ignore it
- caution
- have a very, very quiet word as you are walking past the offender
Interesting and fair point, I've in the past gone with "I think I saw/heard you do X and it would have been a yellow if I was sure". I particularly like this for where someone's attempted a verbal distraction but I don't think it's had much of an effect.

Interesting and fair point, I've in the past gone with "I think I saw/heard you do X and it would have been a yellow if I was sure". I particularly like this for where someone's attempted a verbal distraction but I don't think it's had much of an effect.

That may be helpful with the player(s) in the immediate vicinity, but I don't know that it is going to have the desired effect on the technical areas, people in the stands, and the folks watching from home. In this case, I think you either caution the player or do nothing and, later, give him a word in the ear when you're on a run-by.

That may be helpful with the player(s) in the immediate vicinity, but I don't know that it is going to have the desired effect on the technical areas, people in the stands, and the folks watching from home. In this case, I think you either caution the player or do nothing and, later, give him a word in the ear when you're on a run-by.
Fair point, not sure how effective it would be for something like this where the offense has already occurred and is unlikely to have the opportunity to occur again.

If he's deliberately scuffed it up then it is a caution. At least you warned the player and there was "no harm, no foul" at the end of the day.

Something to learn for next time.

Back