A&H

Junior/Youth They're coaching from both sides ref??

smair

Level 7 Referee
Saturday's U13 game involved the Blues coaches taking up a position on one side of the pitch alongside the Blacks with one Blues coach on the other side. Most of my youth games naturally spell one team on each touchline but the normal thing for this particular venue is having both teams on one side. I wasn't bothered in the slightest. Blacks coach at half time comes over and tells me "they're coaching from both sides" to which I reply "I'm not telling coaches where to stand, as long as they're not on the field of play I'm not concerned, you may do the same if you like" The Blues coach on the "wrong" side heard and cited his reason as the small hearing aid unit (definitely safe I should add) on the number 6 that played along that side. I allowed this for the second half. Have I done anything wrong? There's nothing in the competition rules anywhere that outlines what sides coaching staff or spectators should occupy.

The Referee Store
My understanding has always been that coaches (ie, team officials) must remain within the technical area throughout the match.

Note that I'm not sure if the situation you found yourself in was correctly handled or not. I honestly have no idea.

In the youth leagues I do theres no restriction on which side the coaches can stand and if they wish can have one on either side, the only place theyre not allowed to stand is by the goals

When no dugouts / technical areas, then you cannot control where any spectators / coaches can be.

If the league is signed up to the Respect Campaign however, I believe there are rules as to where spectators stand and where management stand i.e. no spectators behind the goals etc...

When no dugouts / technical areas, then you cannot control where any spectators / coaches can be.

If the league is signed up to the Respect Campaign however, I believe there are rules as to where spectators stand and where management stand i.e. no spectators behind the goals etc...
Even with dugouts I'm not gonna be forcing anyone in there. Seems really pedantic to me anyway, what difference does it make? Why is it a bad thing letting coaches give all their players advice to improve, not just the ones that can hear? No idea if Respect is a thing up here or not.

Even with dugouts I'm not gonna be forcing anyone in there. Seems really pedantic to me anyway, what difference does it make? Why is it a bad thing letting coaches give all their players advice to improve, not just the ones that can hear? No idea if Respect is a thing up here or not.

League rules I'm afraid. If they want management in a technical area, with only two standing - so be it. If they don't want anyone under the age of 16 in the dugouts - again, so be it.

Check your league rules, and it will show whether the league have signed up to the Respect campaign. If they have - check the rules regarding your scenario.

Respect "recommendation" is that all coaches stand on one side, spectators on another.

Not really an issue for me as described though

League rules I'm afraid. If they want management in a technical area, with only two standing - so be it. If they don't want anyone under the age of 16 in the dugouts - again, so be it.

Check your league rules, and it will show whether the league have signed up to the Respect campaign. If they have - check the rules regarding your scenario.
Ctrl-F "Respect" "sideline" "touchline" in the league's big PDF found nothing related appeared for any of the terms. Was just confused given the extent of the outrage from the coach.

From FA Web site

In the 2007-08 season The FA ran a Respect pilot study in 19 leagues across England and these spectator areas had a hugely positive effect on behaviour. The barriers literally draw the line which parents and spectators should not cross.

Once this equipment is received, you will need to supply it to clubs to mark out the Designated Spectators' Area on one side of the pitch - it is recommended that fans and parents/carers from both sides stand behind this barrier on one full length of the pitch.

This allows the coaches of both teams to stand on the other side of the pitch, meaning players get instructions from just one side of the pitch.

As you can see its just a recommendation

Another question to throw into the mix, while refereeing my sons under 10 fixtures this season ( which is the main reason why I got into refereeing so his club had a qualified referee to gain charter standard ). Can a standin referee ie coach / manager coach his / her team while refereeing ?. I reffed my lads under 10 fixture earlier this season now the opposition coach took acception to one or two of my decisions so he claimed that he was going to ref the second fixture as at that age you play the same team twice. To cut a long story short he was coaching and giving his players instructions while he was reffing !!!! . In the spirit of the game not allowed surely ?. Sorry to derail the post somewhat but thought it was relevant possibly lol

Another question to throw into the mix, while refereeing my sons under 10 fixtures this season ( which is the main reason why I got into refereeing so his club had a qualified referee to gain charter standard ). Can a standin referee ie coach / manager coach his / her team while refereeing ?. I reffed my lads under 10 fixture earlier this season now the opposition coach took acception to one or two of my decisions so he claimed that he was going to ref the second fixture as at that age you play the same team twice. To cut a long story short he was coaching and giving his players instructions while he was reffing !!!! . In the spirit of the game not allowed surely ?. Sorry to derail the post somewhat but thought it was relevant possibly lol
That's a bit off in my opinion, I think giving both teams a bit of encouragement and being positive would do no harm but actual coaching/instructions I'm not so sure.

From FA Web site

In the 2007-08 season The FA ran a Respect pilot study in 19 leagues across England and these spectator areas had a hugely positive effect on behaviour. The barriers literally draw the line which parents and spectators should not cross.

Once this equipment is received, you will need to supply it to clubs to mark out the Designated Spectators' Area on one side of the pitch - it is recommended that fans and parents/carers from both sides stand behind this barrier on one full length of the pitch.

This allows the coaches of both teams to stand on the other side of the pitch, meaning players get instructions from just one side of the pitch.

As you can see its just a recommendation
They have it for Pro Youth up here as that is a requirement of the academy leagues. Local YFLs don't have that kind of money though. They're frequently rolled out at summer football festivals though and contribute to a fun competitive atmosphere when I've been able to use them

. Local YFLs don't have that kind of money though.

That's cause it all goes to you refs in Scotland... In all seriousness, they can't afford some bits of plastic and a rope to stop spectators? Very clear rules in my youth league, a respect barrier must be present else there's a fine, and coaches have to stand on the opposite side of the pitch. I think it's definitely a good thing, and means that there's a clear distinction between who's a 'coach' and who's a parent.

Not strictly true. If a 'coach' isn't named on the team sheet as member of the technical area, he can stand where he wants. If he is named on the team sheet, he's still not REQUIRED to be in the technical, he's just allowed to be!

Let's say league rules state management must be named on team sheet & in technical area, what's to stop a team not putting Asst's name down? He goes and stands opposite side. You enquire and he says he's not a coach, just a vocal spectator. Nothing you can do!

Not sure if this is part of the respect campaign as a whole or just my league, but the league rules actually state that spectators have to be behind the respect barrier on one side of the pitch, with coaches on the other.

I can only remember it being an issue once, when a coach stood in front of and argued with the parents. The majority of coaches tend to stand on the opposite side.

My dad had a problem regarding the respect barrier last season with the chairman of the boys league because we were accused of not having a respect barrier in place (ie. Poles and rope). When we pointed out that we did have a respect barrier in the form of a line of cones he said in "his" opinion they aren't "good enough" and so shouldn't be used, it was weird considering his whole argument was based around rules are rules and quoting both the league and fa respect programme that he could be incorrect in a matter of rules ;)

My dad had a problem regarding the respect barrier last season with the chairman of the boys league because we were accused of not having a respect barrier in place (ie. Poles and rope). When we pointed out that we did have a respect barrier in the form of a line of cones he said in "his" opinion they aren't "good enough" and so shouldn't be used, it was weird considering his whole argument was based around rules are rules and quoting both the league and fa respect programme that he could be incorrect in a matter of rules ;)

You wouldn't think that we were there for a bit of enjoyable sport at times!

Back