A&H

The season cant end soon enough quite frankly!

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
I've not been on here much lately due to a family situation. But my last games I refereed a couple of weeks ago really have got me preying for the end of the season. Now I must admit whats got me down is nothing compared to those who are out getting assaulted during a game.

Had 3 games back to back, u15, u14 and u16. First u15 went fine, nothing exciting, 6-0 win and team won the league so was nice.

U14 was terrible. Away teams manager was just a pain from the get go. He started off by moaning one of the home team was wearing a different shirt to the rest of the team. In reality this lad was wearing last seasons home kit, only difference was the sponsor on the front and quite frankly I'm not going to kick off over something like that. The away team manager spent the entire match moaning about off the ball kicks and "afters". His son was centre mid and moaned more than any player I've ever seen. Moaning at his team mates for being lazy, he was the only one working. He went into the book in the second half as I'd just had enough of his constant moans. First half I had to stop play for 3 minutes as the away team manager was squaring up to the home CAR. Half time I always position my drink by one goal, ie miles from both teams and spectators so I dont get any of them talking to me. Away team manager comes over and says the home team manager is telling his boys to go down under every challenge and that 4 of his parents have been "offered out" by home supporters and if it carries on he'll pull his boys out. I tell him I cant control what people are saying and certainly cant if I dont hear whats happening (I've refereed the home team several time over the last few weeks and know their parents and coaches are well behaved, although if I heard anything I would step in, but as a club they just arent like that.). He then tells me I'll have a mass brawl to deal with at full time. Second half much of the same from him, and he'll be receiving misconduct reports for some of the things he said. He even was arguing with his own CAR in the second half. Come full time no hand shakes etc as expected. But easily one of the least enjoyable 70 minutes of refereeing.

U16 game was by and large fine, till I felt a twinge in my knee which wasnt good. The football was rubbish, two keepers hoofing the ball up field to their fast strikers meaning lots of sprinting back and forth. I awarded a pen to the home team in the last minute (they were 3-1 up by this point). It was on the edge of the box, the pitch markings were terrible, but I used an old trick someone on here mentioned of concentrating on where it took place, sprinted over while blowing my whistle and giving myself a second or two of sprinting to get closer and be sure of giving it as a pen. Away team moaned loads, one went into the book for dissent. I was trying to be lenient as it was the last kick of the game, pretty much last game of the season and had no bearing on the result. The penalty was missed and blew for full time. Then away players are moaning about the home team players encroaching the area while it was taken and I was terrible for not seeing it and lots of are you even qualified comments. Which will earn them some misconduct reports. Then one of the away team spectators came over to tell me I was a joke saying one of the home players told me to f off and I'd got my cards out of my pocket but didnt book him. This is of course utter rubbish, I told him he was mistaken as if my card comes out my pocket then a player is getting it. He then proceeded to tell me I'd bottled it etc etc. What is more annoying is I didnt have a terrible game. Admittedly the knee injury I had preoccupied me at times and also just the awful long ball tactics of each team meant it was near on impossible to be in a good position all the time as for all the will in the world two keepers who can pump the ball 80 or so yards its hard to be as close to play as I wanted to be at all times.

Apologies for the long post, its just left me me feeling with a bad taste in my mouth for the end of the season. The moaning manager, to getting moaned at about a penalty I gave that was missed and had no bearing on the result has really got me down. I normally have a pretty thick skin for these things, but its just left me feeling like my Sunday was spent having a really unenjoyable time. A few weeks ago I was thinking of getting the games under my belt next season to go for promotion etc, but now I'm thinking of not even bothering to register as a ref next season. :(

The Referee Store
Chin up Davey boy!

sounds like you've had a crap day of football! happens to the best (and worst) of us! fortunately you now have the summer to reflect ... get your registration in and by kick off next season you'll be raring to go!

maybe even treat yourself to some new goodies :D

by jacking it in you're letting the bully boys win!

I've got a game this weekend and that'll probably help. I think it's probably because I've had a longer time than normal to reflect on it its made it worse. I've also been lucky this season that I've had a great season. I've had lots of good competitive teams who just want play. So I've been lucky to only have a couple of bad days at the office. Just so happened this one combined a lot of smaller negative points making it a bit of a rubbish day.

Just done an U14,U16,U18 tournament yesterday, was refereeing an U14 11 a- side match red 7 tackles white 4 nothing wrong with that but white 4 goes down like a ton of bricks(looking for free kick) just ignored him he sat there looking at me,play continued for few seconds i looked round just a precautionary glance at him and he was rolling around clutching his head as if he got hit by that ton of bricks. So i blew the whistle to stop play and manager runs on and carries him off.Mummy on the touchline shouting"F***ing disgusting,you supposed to look after these f****ing kids,f***ing disgusting... for fu**s sake" This was at the top of her voice.I ignored her and looked over at her son sat beside her and he was stuffing his face with a burger and drinking a coke....

Just done an U14,U16,U18 tournament yesterday, was refereeing an U14 11 a- side match red 7 tackles white 4 nothing wrong with that but white 4 goes down like a ton of bricks(looking for free kick) just ignored him he sat there looking at me,play continued for few seconds i looked round just a precautionary glance at him and he was rolling around clutching his head as if he got hit by that ton of bricks. So i blew the whistle to stop play and manager runs on and carries him off.Mummy on the touchline shouting"F***ing disgusting,you supposed to look after these f****ing kids,f***ing disgusting... for fu**s sake" This was at the top of her voice.I ignored her and looked over at her son sat beside her and he was stuffing his face with a burger and drinking a coke....

Ignored her as in didn't do anything at all about her language?

Hey @DaveMac, keep your head up, those things happens. Isn't three games a day a bit much ? After that U14 game I wouldn't like to have yet another game

Talking from experience, get.that.knee.checked
Yes, even if you don't feel pain anymore, trust me, it's a bitch and it will come back

@Yacinho 3 games is a bit much I agree and I only tend to agree to it to really help out the referee secretary of the league I'm on. I've done it a couple of times in the past. But not something I like doing.

Its a known knee issue, so kinda know it flares up from time to time. I get it alot when out running because of the hard pavements, refereeing is normally ok, only problem was the pitch was rock solid so took me by surprise and gave my knee a bit of a battering. I'm giving it the rest up it needs now so should be fine for this weekend having a couple of weeks off it.

Ignored her as in didn't do anything at all about her language?
Well ,karma rules... i said to my linesman after the match(17 minutes each way) did you here that woman swearing and he told me that with the team just getting beat 1-0 meant they were out of the tournament so justice was done............

First half I had to stop play for 3 minutes as the away team manager was squaring up to the home CAR.

I'd have either binned him or informed hi that the next time he so much breathes in my direction he's gone.
Might have saved you problems down the line

Second half much of the same from him, and he'll be receiving misconduct reports for some of the things he said.

Did you actually send him from the VOTFOP? Cos it sounds like you should have

and lots of are you even qualified comments. Which will earn them some misconduct reports.

Did you caution? If not I do not see how you can send in a misconcuct form.
I would be cautioning for this every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a known knee issue, so kinda know it flares up from time to time. I get it alot when out running because of the hard pavements, refereeing is normally ok, only problem was the pitch was rock solid so took me by surprise and gave my knee a bit of a battering. I'm giving it the rest up it needs now so should be fine for this weekend having a couple of weeks off it.

Maybe consider some quadriceps reinforcement at the physiotherapist, really helps support the knee

Dave, I'd be interested to know how many cards were issued in these matches.
We ALL have games like this, but my last game like this had 10 cautions.
I remember what it was like coming away from a match in my early years thinking the players had got one over on me and trust me, when teams want to play "test the ref" nowadays it's a bloody expensive game to play with me and I come away from the game feeling much less sh*t.

@deusex From the three games there was a caution in each game. None of the games were particularly difficult ones to referee. The last game with the penalty was the only real problem and at the time the one yellow I gave calmed things down at the time. The comments about me being qualified came once I'd left the pitch and was collecting my stuff after the final whistle.

I was also under the impression that as the matches are played in public parks I'm not really able to send managers off as such? I could of course be wrong.

I was also under the impression that as the matches are played in public parks I'm not really able to send managers off as such? I could of course be wrong.

The VOTFOP isn't public for the duration of the match (but that's another thread)and even if it was my reply would be "You don't have to leave, but I don't have to stay....."

Approach the club official concerned and politely but firmly state "sir, I need you to leave the vicinity of the field of play"
He may leave or he may say "It's a public park I'm not going anywhere" at which point I will call in the club concerned's captain and say "Skipper, this match WILL NOT RESTART until this gentleman has left the VOTFOP!".
Still not left? at this point I call in BOTH captain and say "Gents, If this man has not left the VOTFOP in 120 seconds this match WILL be abandoned"
How many times has this led to abandonment in 8 years? Not once
You'd be surprised the effect 22 players telling you to leave can have on the man who promised he wasn't leaving 2 minutes ago.

STAND YOUR GROUND.
They will try every trick in the book to get to stay, if you allow it after attempting to have him removed your credibility is gone forever.

Back