A&H

The Removal of Players after Injuries

I am not a physio either but I know several and they say that recent research on this is somewhat equivocal.

A systematic review of randomised controlled trials published in the US National Library of Medicine concluded that:

It depends partly on what you mean exactly by 'warming up.' Generally warming up the body and muscles (by jogging, for instance) does still seem to be indicated (despite some studies showing no benefit) but stretching before exercise may actually be counter-productive.

See for example, the various studies referenced in the article below from Time magazine:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/
Apparently there are some people who claim that climate change has nothing to do with man;)

The article is about static stretching. It seems pretty universal that PTs and coaches are focusing on dynamic stretching these days.
And your quote says "the weight of evidence is in favour of a decreased risk of injury."
I really shouldn't be wasting my time on this with you...

Are you really suggesting that sportspeople should not warm up their muscles and dynamically stretch key muscle groups before strenuous exercise? I think you would be in a very small minority;)

The Referee Store
Apparently there are some people who claim that climate change has nothing to do with man;)

The article is about static stretching. It seems pretty universal that PTs and coaches are focusing on dynamic stretching these days.
And your quote says "the weight of evidence is in favour of a decreased risk of injury."
I really shouldn't be wasting my time on this with you...

Are you really suggesting that sportspeople should not warm up their muscles and dynamically stretch key muscle groups before strenuous exercise? I think you would be in a very small minority;)
I am at a loss as to know what it is that you think you have read in my post. Perhaps I could suggest that you re-read it. You seem to have drawn inferences from it that are totally at odds with its content.

Last edited:
in the first minute you could be sprinting 30 yards no warm up bye bye hamstring, warm up is essential, and as the others have said if players see a ref doi g a warm they think hello we got a proper referee today

I don't think anyone has definitively answered the original question so I will outline the EXACT wording of the laws:

"stops play if a player is seriously injured and ensures that the player is removed from the field of play. An injured player may not be treated on the field of play... Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:

• a goalkeeper is injured
• a goalkeeper and an outfield player have collided and need attention
• players from the same team have collided and need attention
• a severe injury has occurred
• a player is injured as the result of a physical offence for which the opponent is cautioned or sent off (e.g. reckless or serious foul challenge), if the assessment/treatment is completed quickly

...if the referee has authorised the doctors and /or stretcher bearers to enter the field of play, the player must leave on a stretcher or on foot."

The exceptions suggest they do not need to leave for or after treatment, for example, you wouldn't make a goalkeeper leave to be treated and have the team play without one... The same goes for multiple players from the same team and so on.

But in contrast to that, the law says an injured player may not be treated on the field of play and the player MUST leave on a stretcher or on foot if a doctor/stretcher is authorised.

I believe the exceptions mean they do not need to leave at all in those situations, but others disagree.

Thoughts?

Back