A&H

Ladies The keeper takes a penalty

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Had a semi final this afternoon.

Which by and large went off with out incident, away team winning 3-1 thanks to a couple of penalties, the last of which resulted in a yellow for a blatant shove in the back between the shoulders blades.

Neither penalty caused much issue, other than the normal sort of complaints.

But the second one apparently caused some ire between one of the home coaches and the away CAR as the away team sent their keeper up to take it.

I know there's nothing in the LOTG to prevent this, which the home team accepted but they maintained that it "disrespected" their players, and if it happened in a mens game then it would have kicked off.

Ive seen loads of teams send keepers up to take penalties, admittedly not in men's football, and never heard any complaints before.

Has anyone ever had any complaints when a team has done this before?

Incidently I didn't hair anything that was said between the coach and the CAR as they were down the far end of the pitch.

The Referee Store
Yes I remember a Juventus vs Bayer Munich 1-3 with Neuer scoring against Buffon from the penalty spot.
Champions league game 2-3 years back

It was very strange, they didn't complain about the penalties, or the caution etc, just the fact the keeper took a penalty.

The home enjoys team do enjoy a good whinge.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Not sure it's quite dissent unless they start blaming you for it, but I'd find an excuse for a few cards to get on top of it I think.

Son's U14 team share the penalties amongst the players who don't normally score. Earlier in the season, keeper got called up to take a penalty during 1st half. Caused a few laughs, but didn't hear any complaints.

the home team accepted [it] but they maintained that it "disrespected" their players, and if it happened in a mens game then it would have kicked off
I would call bullsh*t on both claims. You don't say what the score was at the time of this penalty but the most it could have been is 2-1. Firstly, I don't think any self-respecting coach is going to waste a chance to score the potentially decisive goal in a close-fought semi-final by sending someone to take a penalty that they didn't think was capable. And secondly, if it happened in a men's game no-one would have batted an eyelid

Last edited:
If a team want their keeper to take a penalty thats fine but if it is saved it is a great opurtunity for the other team as the keeper will be slightly out of position.

There is two step 7 teams around by me that have their keeper's take the penalties from open play.

Sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining. My old team's penalty taker was also the goalkeeper, whether they were winning 10-0 or it was 2-2. Not once have I seen him miss and he was by far the best in our team, sometimes that's just the way it goes.

i remember playing in a game where the opposition keeper came up for a corner, not last minute, not needing a last gasp equaliser... just because he fancied it... he outjumped my 6ft 3 mate to head what was actually a very good goal, then ran away squealing that it was his third of the season. Whether the others were pens or not we dont know, but what i did know was that was the third game of the season ! cheeky sod i do recall some of our players moaning about him though but tbh fair play to the lad

Back