A&H

TH v Chelsea

If he’s the best of the best then I fear for the rest of you! Wow, how that list has diminished!

The Referee Store
Watched it on Match of the Day Two now and relying on lip reading skills he thinks it’s handball by Alonso.

When he’s touching the earpiece to get the message it’s a penalty he appears to say “So it’s definitely not handball?”

On the over the-shoulder-shot it does seem that Alonso swats at the ball but other angles prove he didn’t touch it.

I am very interested by the suggestion that VAR as a subconscious fallback is reducing refereeing quality, though I realise that cannot be proven. That would, however, create a self-fulfilling prophecy, which then fuels a spiral of technological meliorism. A sad state of affairs for a game where referees in early 2000s largely did well in an authentic atmosphere.
As for the decision itself, it seemed one for which implicit goalkeeper privileges swayed logic. Indeed, the failure to reverse the disallowed Watford goal also spoke to that possibility.
The inconsistency of VAR's application is still troubling. Is there an official time limit, and why, for example, can a free kick not be taken away if there was a clear offside in the build-up?

The FA and UEFA obviously disagree, as the latter's independent observers have him as England's top referee and he will almost certainly go to the Euros as England's sole representative.

Do you not think Michael Oliver has a good chance too?

I am very interested by the suggestion that VAR as a subconscious fallback is reducing refereeing quality, though I realise that cannot be proven. That would, however, create a self-fulfilling prophecy, which then fuels a spiral of technological meliorism. A sad state of affairs for a game where referees in early 2000s largely did well in an authentic atmosphere.
As for the decision itself, it seemed one for which implicit goalkeeper privileges swayed logic. Indeed, the failure to reverse the disallowed Watford goal also spoke to that possibility.
The inconsistency of VAR's application is still troubling. Is there an official time limit, and why, for example, can a free kick not be taken away if there was a clear offside in the build-up?

I don't think refereeing has really got worse since VAR was intervened. It's just down to perception. I'm sure that some decisions have been affected slightly by VAR being in place but it's not as if referees never missed obvious penalties etc. previously

VAR couldn't be used for the offside for the free-kick because it wasn't one of the four aspects VAR is used for. That is consistent rather than inconsistent. I think there'd be a lot more inconsistency if VAR could intervene on 'everything'.

I don't think refereeing has really got worse since VAR was intervened. It's just down to perception. I'm sure that some decisions have been affected slightly by VAR being in place but it's not as if referees never missed obvious penalties etc. previously

VAR couldn't be used for the offside for the free-kick because it wasn't one of the four aspects VAR is used for. That is consistent rather than inconsistent. I think there'd be a lot more inconsistency if VAR could intervene on 'everything'.

It may be consistent on their current terms, but they seem very strange to me. Using VAR partially keeps begging further questions. The demand, once awoken, is insatiable. Assistants will be threatened next.

I wonder if having VAR has affected positioning, hence referees not being in the right position to call fouls like these.

For the penalty here, he doesn't seem to be sprinting like he normally would - same with the pen in the Manchester derby a couple of weeks ago. For the red card he's looking straight at it so god knows what he's seen

Back