A&H

Technical area dissent

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
I cautioned a manager on Monday night for dissent following a decision (backed by observer). He stepped outside of TA displaying low-level disagreement. I got a major dev for TA in my last observation so wasn’t going to be lenient. I may be overthinking, but should this be a red card?

From LOTG:
deliberately leaving the technical area to:
• show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official

I think ‘deliberately’ leaves some wiggle room but interested what others would’ve done.

The Referee Store
You’ve answered your own question. In law, yes, RC.

But context, if he’s just taken a step, not screaming, not aggressive, is a red card suitable? We can infer that racing out of technical area to show dissent, easy red. Partly because it’s so obvious to everyone that it is challenging your authority.

Standing just outside the area and telling you you are rubbish I think is something else.

As an observer, I want to know your thought process and that know the sanctions for staff in law 12. As an observer I don’t need you to show a red card when no one is expecting it.

I cautioned a manager on Monday night for dissent following a decision (backed by observer). He stepped outside of TA displaying low-level disagreement. I got a major dev for TA in my last observation so wasn’t going to be lenient. I may be overthinking, but should this be a red card?

From LOTG:
deliberately leaving the technical area to:
• show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official

I think ‘deliberately’ leaves some wiggle room but interested what others would’ve done.
I think there is wiggle room. It's not deliberately leaves AND shows dissent, it's deliberately leaves TO show dissent.
It isn't reasonable to conclude that the reason they left has to be for the purposes of showing dissent/ remonstrating and not just solely the fact they happen to have left the confines of the TA whilst showing dissent.
I think a yellow card sounds about right, and having dwelled upon the wording making me question a red card I gave to a manager last season (or rather the code I submitted it under).

I'd only be expecting a red if they actually came onto the pitch to remonstrate. Most spend half of the game outside of their TA anyway.

Back