A&H

Teams playing in Black or very dark colours

Is it not just a myth that teams cannot play in black or dark colours. Teams have been wearing all black kits at all levels of the game for years now. It's very common these days, off hand I recall seeing Celtic, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Germany all playing in black in recent years and there's plenty more. Scotland have always played in dark navy. I don't have LOTG to hand but I recall it only requires teams to wear colours which differentiate from the opposition and the referee. Now if the referee wears black I guess that's where the issue arises! As per previous posts there are several coloured kits available to referees in Scotland. Does the FA in England require referees to wear black?

The Referee Store
Does the FA in England require referees to wear black?
At the lower levels, yes. And requires teams to play in non-black/dark uniforms.

Once you get up to the professional levels of play, then it's a different story.

Is it not just a myth that teams cannot play in black or dark colours. Teams have been wearing all black kits at all levels of the game for years now. It's very common these days, off hand I recall seeing Celtic, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Germany all playing in black in recent years and there's plenty more. Scotland have always played in dark navy. I don't have LOTG to hand but I recall it only requires teams to wear colours which differentiate from the opposition and the referee. Now if the referee wears black I guess that's where the issue arises! As per previous posts there are several coloured kits available to referees in Scotland. Does the FA in England require referees to wear black?
It is not a myth. Within the SCOR which form the basis of all league rules in amateur football black or dark kits are prohibited. Likewise within The FA rules in England, referees are only permitted to wear black.

Not a myth but competition rules.

Surely the rule is in place so that a referee only has to buy one shirt so how can we fault it at all. I personally don't want to have to buy 4 different coloured shirts at £40 a piece thank you, so more than happy to stick to black. If I ever got to the stage where I must buy the coloured shirts I would like to think the match fees will reflect this.

No ... the kits are approved by the leagues either without seeing them or clubs lie about their colours when registering.

Then the clubs should be fined or removed from the league for deceit. Im with the rule following but i also think that we are there for a game as are the other team and the end outcome if you report it is the same whether you play the game or not

Within the SCOR which form the basis of all league rules in amateur football black or dark kits are prohibited.
Bria, thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with SCOR ~ is it something that applies in England? I'm based in Scotland and have never heard of it. In Scotland, all black kits are pretty common and widely accepted at all levels of the game including amateur and youth. That's why I have 3~4 different kits, of which the black one is probably worn least.

Bria, thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with SCOR ~ is it something that applies in England? I'm based in Scotland and have never heard of it. In Scotland, all black kits are pretty common and widely accepted at all levels of the game including amateur and youth. That's why I have 3~4 different kits, of which the black one is probably worn least.
Yes the SCOR is the Standard Code of Rules set out by The FA. It sets out the competition rules for all leagues in England.

you mean england, in scotland we referee have coloured shirts to avoid this nonsense

Yeah, all good and well. Unless you're below Cat 3, which the majority of referees are, therefore the 4 tops could potentially cost you £188 if you go for long sleeve.

Back