A&H

Teams playing in Black or very dark colours

padiman

Wished I started this when I was younger
Level 7 Referee
everytime I get a league handbook it says that no team is permitted to wear black or very dark colours, but I keep seeing teams wearing them , I had one on Saturday who had black socks , shorts and top apart from white sleeves, I have also had a team play in black and very dark browny gold which from a distance looked black.. Is this a common thing and what can I do about it as I'm not aloud to wear anything else but black unlike our colleges in football league.

The Referee Store
you have 4 choices in my book

1. they wear a bib and you play the game, then report the team
2. they find alternative kit and you play the game, then report it
3. you play the game, no change of kit or bibs used and let them deal with confusion, then report it
4. you ask for your match fee upfront, you then abandon the game and report it

so basically - as long as you report it and you don't wear a bib or change kit - its fine in my book

*Disclaimer - I do not actually have a book

you have 4 choices in my book

1. they wear a bib and you play the game, then report the team
2. they find alternative kit and you play the game, then report it
3. you play the game, no change of kit or bibs used and let them deal with confusion, then report it
4. you ask for your match fee upfront, you then abandon the game and report it

so basically - as long as you report it and you don't wear a bib or change kit - its fine in my book

*Disclaimer - I do not actually have a book

this is similar to the discussion the other day. i agree with your 4 points i think thats the ideal. although i do think if you as ref have a spare kit and can wear it and still report i dont see an issue. surely its better for the game to go ahead and the team deal with the consequences instead of punishing the other team. Also surely some of the fault lays at the feet of the FA as they have agreed the kit in the first place

Yes I've had this and the manager of the team in the dark kit actually said he was unhappy with the clash!
He wasn't happy with his team wearing bibs either, I tried to point out that it was unlikely that his team would confuse a 50 something referee with an athletic 16 year old teammate and in any case every referee his team had would have worn black previously (This was in March/April I think) but he was still grumbling away until................his own team told him it wasn't a problem!

Hold on - If I have a spare kit I wear it?

So I get my nuts chewed off ( and possibly reported myself) for wearing something except black!

There's two differnt sets of promotion here - and I'll be fked if I'm screing myself.

One that not been asked - two teams have similar kits (say whte with blue stripes and blue with white stripes) now what??

Why do kit manufacturers even make black kits? I know for a fact that Umbro have recently changed kits within their team wear to incorporate an all white back even for the black and white stripes for this very reason. Good on them I say!

PinnerPaul thinks 50+ ref can't get confused with youth players. I did u18 game last season as 50+ ref with home team in all navy blue strip. I had ball passed to me and also had ball left for me to clear in penalty area from player in front of me which led to a very near miss on their goal.

This is the FFSA kit.
22Aug2014100812onfield.jpg

I do wish all you border-crossers and foreign peoples would stop. Just stop. We invented this damned game, us the English, and therefore IT IS OURS!! OURS I SAY!! Therefore WE KNOW BEST. Colours? Pah! None of you know how to run the game properly...just look at the shambles that is FIFA! Next you'll be telling us that referees want to wear all black socks instead of those with the white turnovers! Travesty! Heresy! The end is nigh!

*giggles are mandatory when reading this ;)

PinnerPaul thinks 50+ ref can't get confused with youth players. I did u18 game last season as 50+ ref with home team in all navy blue strip. I had ball passed to me and also had ball left for me to clear in penalty area from player in front of me which led to a very near miss on their goal.

I'd take that as a huge compliment!;)

I do wish all you border-crossers and foreign peoples would stop. Just stop. We invented this damned game, us the English, and therefore IT IS OURS!! OURS I SAY!! Therefore WE KNOW BEST. Colours? Pah! None of you know how to run the game properly...just look at the shambles that is FIFA! Next you'll be telling us that referees want to wear all black socks instead of those with the white turnovers! Travesty! Heresy! The end is nigh!

*giggles are mandatory when reading this ;)
i want a pint of what he has been on lol

Correct - a cortico-steroid to bring my asthma back under control. 9 months of ever changing treatment before the GP finally agreed to call up the big guns, and surprise surprise, problem solved. That's another 'establishment' story - don't get me started! :D

Back