A&H

Taxi for Roger East!!

HarryD

Dear oh dear. According to sky sports news, East has done a Marriner! Sent off Brown instead of O'Shea. This isn't good for the campaign against referees!!

The Referee Store

Watch the video from 40 seconds

First angle - clear O'Shea hold

Second (next) angle - looks like Brown has been a little clumsy from behind

I can see why the Ref has carded Brown - albeit O'Shea's foul is a lot clearer

From the video, I fully understand why Brown was sent for a shower. To me, it seems that it's the knee of Brown in the back of Falcao's leg that sends him down.

From actually seeing the incident I'm thinking it's not a taxi for Roger East, its instead a taxi for Paul Merson!

QUESTION
Whether he sent the right or wrong player off, did either player 'deny a goalscoring opportunity' Falcao got his shot off so a he hasn't denied the opportunity?
Also with two players so close would a caution been a better option?

QUESTION
Whether he sent the right or wrong player off, did either player 'deny a goalscoring opportunity' Falcao got his shot off so a he hasn't denied the opportunity?
Also with two players so close would a caution been a better option?

Pulled back and legs clipped, do you honestly think the player had a fair chance of getting a decent shot off. If you look his actual shot was while on his way down. Development point.

The statement the PGMOL have come up with looks awful. Its telling me that both Brown and O'Shea should have gone.

At the end of the day its a bit of a balls up, nowhere near as bad as last seasons though. Better to just come out and say so.

To me it's clearly O'Shea who should have walked, he's done the initial foul after Falcao has turned him, Brown only makes contact when he's half way down. We don't have Roger East's view but I still don't understand how he either didn't see O'Shea's pull back or thought the foul was committed by Brown.

I could understand if this had been mistaken identity, difficult to tell which player committed the foul.

The PGMOL statement is, quite frankly, pathetic. Surely if he thought there was a foul by O'Shea which he tried to play advantage from, he should've sent him, not Brown, off when there was no advantage. The ref has messed up and it's been made worse by a pretty terrible excuse.

Sunderland are going to appeal, if card is overturned c@ck-up is complete

If both Brown and O'shea pulled him back by his shirt simultaneously and he went down would you have to send both players off?

No - you only apply disciplinary sanction against the most serious offence. So he has to decide who committed the worst foul for dismissal and apparently East decided it was Brown.

The statement actually makes sense. "Why wasn't O'Shea sent off?" roar the press. Statement: Advantage played (therefore still the chance to score) then player fouled a second time by another player. This second foul is the DOGSO. O'Shea therefore has not committed a DOGSO foul.

Back