A&H

Tattoos

Calparrish

Level 5 Referee
Hi guys,

not sure if this has been covered before!

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my arm, nothing major, certainly not a sleeve!

Just wondered if anyone thinks this will affect my chance of getting high up on the refereeing ladder?

The Referee Store
Hi guys,

not sure if this has been covered before!

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my arm, nothing major, certainly not a sleeve!

Just wondered if anyone thinks this will affect my chance of getting high up on the refereeing ladder?
It won't affect your chances as I know a number of the Select Group have tattoos. What it would mean is that you would probably be expected to wear long sleeved shirts when you got above a certain level.

Depends where on the arm.

The Army used to have to cut off marks - officer couldnt have anything beflow the wrist (thus not visible in long sleeves but would be in SS) and the other cut off was at the elbow, thus always coverd by short sleeves.

Not just football thinking but also think about the rest of life - (appreciating your age) if you want to get something urgently, keep it top of arm or back / chest / thigh. Then, as life goes on you can spread as you feel fit to.

Sorry to say but people at all levels,in all jobs DO get judged by body art. From top end bankers who are passed over as they are not the image that is wanted (they're in an office all day FFS) to guys and girls who are public facing.

Remember though - you will ALWAYS have you lower legs covered when on the pitch!!

As noted on here earlier I have a silly tattoo on my arm. For refereeing I always wear long sleeve shirts. I'm 99.9% sure its never been seen while on the pitch.

I have one from a football club that I follow abroad on my right forearm (just up from the wrist). I always wear a wristband whilst out on games which covers it (actually deliberately chose that spot for it because of that)

I have one at the bottom of my leg, however football socks will always cover this. I will only ever get a tattoo in a place i know i can easily hide.

I have a couple, one on each lower leg, nothing large but chose these spots for the reasons listed above. I echo the comments about being judged...no matter what profession you are in people will judge you if you have visible tattoos so keep them in a concealable location, especially if you are young.

I know a number of referees who have tattoos on their backsides (not that I've been looking you dirty lot!). Your superiors will never see it (well, maybe, but generally not...)

Back