A&H

Junior/Youth "take him down" incident.

As with others....being clearly intentional doesn't make it a red. Heck, that's kind of what makes it a yellow, assuming there isn't excessive force used.
As for 'take him down'.....I'd agree that's not a clear instruction for a foul. Nothing you can do if you don't know who said it.
But you can warn the player who said it anyway (if you catch them). Instructions to foul you can deal with....instructions to hurt? "BREAK HIS LEG!!"

Thoughts - red card immediately? Any different between juniors and seniors?

The Referee Store
As with others....being clearly intentional doesn't make it a red. Heck, that's kind of what makes it a yellow, assuming there isn't excessive force used.
As for 'take him down'.....I'd agree that's not a clear instruction for a foul. Nothing you can do if you don't know who said it.
But you can warn the player who said it anyway (if you catch them). Instructions to foul you can deal with....instructions to hurt? "BREAK HIS LEG!!"

Thoughts - red card immediately? Any different between juniors and seniors?
Personally, I think that's AA. Dont think it fits offinabus but it is certainly an aggressive attitude. Its not a VC as there is no action or attempted action so I struggle to see which of the 7 red card offences it is.

sadly you could not identify the loud mouth, it happens and as the others have said the colour of the card is your decsion as we didnt see it,
idealy you hear red ten show take him down red six does you stop the game award the penalty,/free kick
you get both players beside you say to red six in a loud enough voice so the other players hear it, your team mate earned you this card show the card let things settle then do red ten for unsporting

Dont think it fits offinabus but it is certainly an aggressive attitude.

At a stretch, I would argue it is grossly offensive. My instinct says to brandish the red card for that, but unfortunately I think probably your interpretation is correct.

I would support a red for "break his leg", but you need to back it up with the right sanction code. If you report it as VC and they appeal it would be thrown out as he hasn't used or attempted to use excessive force or brutality, nor has he struck or attempted to strike anyone on the head or face.

Which leaves OFFINABUS, and you could argue that using those words is offensive or abusive.

I would support a red for "break his leg", but you need to back it up with the right sanction code. If you report it as VC and they appeal it would be thrown out as he hasn't used or attempted to use excessive force or brutality, nor has he struck or attempted to strike anyone on the head or face.

Which leaves OFFINABUS, and you could argue that using those words is offensive or abusive.

I know someone who went to jail for ABH, There was an argument between two men in a pub and a mild mannered family man was challenged by a local Yob, They were arguing and after the initial confrontation he was heard to say off the cuff 'if he comes for me again i'm going to f'kin kill him!' He didnt mean it literally, it was just man bragging etc to his mates. Later that week the two men argued again and the Yob attacked him and so he defended himself but the Yob came off far worse resulting in serious injury. Police followed it up and because he'd been heard to have 'planned' the attack and it wasn't self defence he was convicted of ABH (because of malice aforethought)! He went to prison!!!

Last edited:
Back