A&H

Tackle with head

JH

RefChat Addict
Reece James of Wigan put his head in the path of the ball on the floor, referee played on. Are you punishing him for PIADM? If he were to get caught in the face, would you give it for or against him as he is putting himself in danger?

The Referee Store
Two scenarios for me:

1. He puts his head in the way of the ball, the opposition tentatively tries to win it back, but obviously cannot play it properly for risk of injury. - I'll penalise him for PIADM.

2. He puts his head in the way of the ball, the opposition doesn't give a hoot and wallops it (or any unreasonable challenge to be fair) - I'll penalise the opposition for their lack of restraint.

I don't think there can be a hard and fast rule to this one, each scenario would have to be judged on its merits and it's a rare scenario, I don't think I've seen many that brave (or daft) enough to try tackling or blocking with their head on the ground at grassroots...

cases above:

1. Same as above.

2. IFK to opponent and also sanction opponent, most likely SFP or VC. Possibly not exactly in line with law (see my quote below re preventing), but it's the defender who caused the issue in the first place. I can work around that by seeing it as two offences in succession.

It is a YHTBT. Haven't seen a vid for OP. How much impact did it have? If it has no or very little impact then I tend to play on and have a quiet word on the run. The law says PIDAM must "include preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury"

Last edited:
Reactions: es1
Reece James of Wigan put his head in the path of the ball on the floor, referee played on. Are you punishing him for PIADM? If he were to get caught in the face, would you give it for or against him as he is putting himself in danger?
Was there an opponent around? If so, then it's PIADM as this foul also includes putting yourself in danger. Same as dropping your head to waist height when around opponents - a foot has more 'right' to be there than a head, so the person putting the head down is at fault.

As to whether or not he's been kicked....this is YHTBT. If you don't think the opponent could reasonably have avoided it then there's no issue (eg player takes a perfectly valid, proportionate kick and the player makes a diving header at the same time). Otherwise, it gets a bit more complex...

I’ve had one where a head was lowered and the defender got kicked in the face.
Nothing malicious at all, head probably lowered to above waist height; so lower but not on the floor.
I blew immediately to assess in case of head injury from the kick and I realised I wasn’t sure what I was going to give or do.
It was very early on after qualifying and my first OA game.
I quickly decided for defending freekick which was accepted by everyone, though I was asked, nicely I must add, “high foot or low head?”
It got me thinking as a high foot is easy to give and expected by players etc.
The low head, if I had gone with penalising the defender it would have direct FK given wouldn’t it? Seeing as contact was made. Am
I right there?

Watch this.

Some great defending, but are you giving an attacking idfk for PIADM?

(If I'm honest, I think you'd have to be as brave as the defender to do so, but the boot is not far from the head)

Thoughts:

Personally I'm not. I think he maintained enough distance from the opponent - and the opponent himself wasn't affected. Also, he was basically on the ground anyway.
Bear in mind this would constitute a DOGSO offence (but would be a yellow card only) EDIT - no that only applies to penalty kicks

Last edited:
Personally I'm not. I think he maintained enough distance from the opponent - and the opponent himself wasn't affected. Also, he was basically on the ground anyway.
Bear in mind this would constitute a DOGSO offence (but would be a yellow card only)
Red card. Yellow is only when a penalty is awarded. This is IFK. But agree with playing on for the same reasons as you.

Red card. Yellow is only when a penalty is awarded. This is IFK. But agree with playing on for the same reasons as you.
Oh damn, you're right. Of course, no triple punishment because no PK. I've thrown in an edit to show that (I don't change what I've written, but I don't like leaving misinformation in my posts unaddressed). Thanks.

Reactions: one
PIADM is an option for the player tackling with the head on the ground, but good luck giving that against the defender in the Wingate v Dulwich scramble. That would be a disastrous decision to penalize such a Hurculean team effort to keep the ball out of the net

I'd give that a DFK for tripping. It was also PIDAM but tripping is a bigger offence.
Looks like he took the ball with his head so I'm not too sure it is a DFK offence. It would be safer to give though.

Punishing blue for tripping white. Restart for tripping is DFK.

You can also choose the reason for the DFK restart to be PIDAM with contact (still punishing blue).

Last edited:
Punishing blue for tripping white. Restart for tripping is DFK.

You can also choose the reason for the DFK restart to be PIDAM with contact (still punishing blue).
Imagine his head is his foot, he takes the ball cleanly, no? That's what I was saying about it not being a DFK, because it is dubious whether it is a foul (ignoring the head).

Back